• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oddly optioned xj's

But its really not odd, most of them don't have ABS. I think I've seen 10 late model XJ's without ABS for every 1 with ABS.

It's been the opposite for me. Every late model XJ I've seen (only about 4, including mine) has had ABS, so I thought mine was the odd one out ;)

You can probably pick one up on ebay or talk to a locksmith - or you can just replace the entire lock, perhaps. If it looks similar in diameter to the ones on the doors/hatch of your XJ you could probably even get a cylinder pinned/wafered to match your ignition key and then mount that up.

I may just go to an office furniture type store. The lock looks exactly like what I have on my desk to lock the cabinet where a desktop pc would go.

My 1999 Sport has some sort of wierd light package. The lights stay on until you put the key in and crank it. The headlights turn off on their own after a few seconds. All of these lights and no glove box light! My 97 SE stripper had a glove box light and hardly anything else. Anyone else have this combo? I would really love to have a glove box light. I like it shinning down on my 9mm...lol

I have a 2001 Limited without ABS. All 8.25 axles came without ABS and the Dana 35 axles could come either way. Also, I have a very limited Limited. It doesn't seem to have any of the Limited interior options. No leather, no power seats.

My 1999 Sport has some sort of wierd light package. The lights stay on until you put the key in and crank it. The headlights turn off on their own after a few seconds.

Nope, many Jeeps had the sentry light option. Turn off the car, then turn off the lights, and they stay on for a period of time, so you will still have some light if you are in a dark, sketchy place.

I saw a wrecked '01 Limited in the JY recently- cloth seats, black bezels on dash, clear windows, generally very down-market. Toward the end, I think they were trying to cheapen and de-value the car, to de-emphasize it in light of what they were going to push next. It's tough to replace an item at the peak of it's popularity with something that many look at as inferior. The Germans selling a vehicle with TWO live axles! NEIN!

The only way I've found my lights to remain on after the truck has been shut down is if I leave the light switch on when I shut down the vehicle. It will beep like crazy at me because I left the lights on with the keys in the ignition, but when I turn the light switch off, the lights remain on for a while.

If I turn the light switch off before I shut the truck off, the lights go off right away and remain off.

Mine also just has the black bezels, no overhead console, it does have the deep tint glass. It does have the 231 case and no full size spare. It doesn't have the chrome grill either.
2000 was the chrome grill and accents.

The only way I've found my lights to remain on after the truck has been shut down is if I leave the light switch on when I shut down the vehicle. It will beep like crazy at me because I left the lights on with the keys in the ignition, but when I turn the light switch off, the lights remain on for a while.

If I turn the light switch off before I shut the truck off, the lights go off right away and remain off.
Yes, as I said a few posts above you, this is the sentry lights feature.

Yes, as I said a few posts above you, this is the sentry lights feature.

Right - I was responding to Ian's post about how he wasn't able to get it to work...I don't think he understands how it operates. Nothing to do with the keyfob as far as I can tell.

Do some of the later models have what some manufacturers refer to as 'theater lighting', where after you get in and close the door, the interior lights gently fade away? My '98 ZJ had that, my wife's Outback has it. When you turn the key, the lights shut off quickly, otherwise they just fade away.

That seems like it would be pretty easy to build - heck, with a big enough electrolytic capacitor connected across the door jamb switches it'd "just work". Anyone know off the top of their head how much current all the interior lights draw?

Nope, many Jeeps had the sentry light option. Turn off the car, then turn off the lights, and they stay on for a period of time, so you will still have some light if you are in a dark, sketchy place.

Heck my 87 if you shut the jeep off and take the key out then turn the lights off they will stay on for about 45 seconds.

Back