• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oddly optioned xj's

Here's a super rare XJ option (only available in Germany and very rare at that), triple rear headrests.

xjrearheadrestsgerman3as.jpg

Two things caught my eye. One is the cargo box on the right side of the cargo area. The second being the faring coming off the top of the rear liftgate. I want something like that for my XJ. Anyone know where to get these?

CD changer/storage box - available from the Jeep dealership (sorry, long since sold out)
xj_0cd_changer_box.jpg

Here's an aftermarket storage box made by the Lido corporation. The early model boxes had the Jeep logo on them and were available through Jeep for a short time. Later, places like Quadratec sold them with the Lido name on it instead of Jeep. I haven't seen these for sale in probably over 10 years. Lido sold the injection molds and all the right to produce them to another company years ago but no one at Lido knew anything about who or where that company is today.
The Lido boxes:
xjstoragebox2.jpg

xjstoragebox.jpg

storageboxes.jpg

As mentioned earlier the rear spoiler can occasionally be found on ebay, that's where I got mine. They are imported from Germany. All of the instructions are in German. (I've got a spare one that I intended to use on another Jeep but never did, hit me back channel if your serious about getting one.)
The hood vents on the Orvis XJ are the same as the US spec 1998 5.9L ZJ. I've got them too.

dsc03771ms.jpg

rack.jpg

Here's a super rare XJ option (only available in Germany and very rare at that), triple rear headrests.

xjrearheadrestsgerman3as.jpg

Sure that is factory? Looks aftermarket to me.

So it seems strange to me, why would this american automaker have tons of options only available overseas. Its pretty obvious all the cool options you could get through the years were in europe.

I want to go to europe just to hit the Junkyards. damn it.

Not mine, just took things out of it at a junkyard -

Red, late 80s or early 90s Limited, not sure. VIN is 1J4FJ78S0ML586106 if anyone wants to look up the build sheet though!
Options:
selec-trac, overhead console with compass/temp/map lights/IR remote receiver, the systems monitoring screen with fluid change lights etc (forget what it was called, check about ten pages back in this thread), cargo area pullout cover, Jensen speakers, power seats, all leather.

The compass/temp even has a button to switch between US and Metric units.

I didn't even know they had compass/temp as an option on XJs that old...

Of course, I took the overhead console and the systems monitoring display, was well worth the 20 bucks they wanted.

EDIT: trivia - the display panel for the systems monitor is part number 5600 4588. It has a 5 pin inline connector on the back. The part number for the IR remote receiver is 4610 68U0, and it looks like they sever PCB traces going to the pins of the controller IC to set the lock/unlock codes.

Last edited:
The overhead consoles were more numerous in the late '80s/early '90s than they were later on. I've seen the System Monitor only on upscale Renix vehicles. The real oddball is the electrically powered hydro boost brakes. Don't know if they're aftermarket, but the ones I've seen looked to be identical, also Renix era. The OHC I have in my '96 Country came out of a '96 Sport stripper- crank windows, no center console. My son and I always get a good laugh when we visit the junkyard, just looking to see what options turn up in a stripper, or were deleted fron an up-market vehicle.

The real oddball is the electrically powered hydro boost brakes. Don't know if they're aftermarket, but the ones I've seen looked to be identical, also Renix era.
Are you talking about Bendix 9 ABS system on 89-91s with the electric pump and bulb accumulator? Its actually more common then you think.. and a pos.

When I got my 85, it had a carb'd 4 banger with no AC no power steering and a 4 speed with a NP207 tcase.

It had rubber mats and no radio. It now has a 4.7L stroker with an AW4, D44's locked front and rear, a NP231 with wide chain and custom SYE. Nice AC with grey interior and carpet. This weekend it is going to have hydro assist steering and wristed radius arms. If I can ever find the box after moving, I'll put the Tera 2Low kit in.

IIRC, I believe the Sentry System monitor was only available pre-Renix era, also only on the loaded Waggys (but like I said, not 100% sure). Both of the ones I grabbed came out of 1986 Waggy's; ahhh yes, the good old 2.8L V6. :explosion
I ebay'd them both. Not much good without all the required sensors and wiring but they are highly sought after (at least mine were).

My latest XJ(99 sport 4.0 231 AW4) is getting all the options in it. Ive added the woodgrain, overhead console, factory tow package and I am looking out for limited Tan door panels with map pouches, factory foglights, and tow hooks. This thing will essentially be a limited without leather. I do miss my 97 SE with 242, power nothing, cruise and AC. Thats it.

I always thought it was odd that my '01 XJ Sport doesn't have ABS. I feel like in 2001 every car ever made had ABS, unless it was a barebones, stripped down model. I'm just happy that I have cruise, power windows/mirrors/locks. The factory tint is a nice touch, too.

Mine's getting pretty odd. 97 SE (fleet stripper), with a CD/Tape head unit, factory tint, LSD 8.25, lighted visors, updated header panel with the later model dome/map/cargo lights.

Ofcourse I've also got a wrecked 98 Sport as a donor. =)

I have a lido storage box in my 92. I took me a year and a half of searching ebay for one, and finally I found one back in february.

Its nice how the back is open on it and it uses the cubby itself as part of the backing, it gives you a good amount of storage. I just wish I could find a key for the lock it.

I have a lido storage box in my 92. I took me a year and a half of searching ebay for one, and finally I found one back in february.

Its nice how the back is open on it and it uses the cubby itself as part of the backing, it gives you a good amount of storage. I just wish I could find a key for the lock it.
You can probably pick one up on ebay or talk to a locksmith - or you can just replace the entire lock, perhaps. If it looks similar in diameter to the ones on the doors/hatch of your XJ you could probably even get a cylinder pinned/wafered to match your ignition key and then mount that up.

I always thought it was odd that my '01 XJ Sport doesn't have ABS. I feel like in 2001 every car ever made had ABS, unless it was a barebones, stripped down model. I'm just happy that I have cruise, power windows/mirrors/locks. The factory tint is a nice touch, too.

But its really not odd, most of them don't have ABS. I think I've seen 10 late model XJ's without ABS for every 1 with ABS.

This was my solution to not being able to find a storage box.
Cargo_Pocket.sized.jpg

Back