• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odd "running hot/overheating" issue (i searched)

the XJ 4.0L runs hot, thats how it is, and more importantly that is where it is the most efficient. but people are always trying to "fix" it to run cooler and start changing things. a performance engine needs a performance waterpump, because it builds more power and that makes more heat. stock engines, not so much.

the XJ 4.0L runs hot, thats how it is, and more importantly that is where it is the most efficient. but people are always trying to "fix" it to run cooler and start changing things. a performance engine needs a performance waterpump, because it builds more power and that makes more heat. stock engines, not so much.

BS. We're pushing 350 ish horses and regularly run at 4000-6000 RPM's and then sit in hot canyons at idle, and never get warm, with a stock waterpump from Autozone.

OP: get rid of the electric fan and put a stock mechanical with a new fan clutch in. I'd bet the cost of the clutch problem would be solved.

BS. We're pushing 350 ish horses and regularly run at 4000-6000 RPM's and then sit in hot canyons at idle, and never get warm, with a stock waterpump from Autozone.

OP: get rid of the electric fan and put a stock mechanical with a new fan clutch in. I'd bet the cost of the clutch problem would be solved.

i didnt say a performance engine cant use stock parts... i was pointing out that a stock engine does not NEED a performance pump. you are lucky to have a good running system.

4.0's dont just run hot my old '99 had all stock stuff and on a 90something degree day 4-lo rockcrawling in the woods the e-fan would kick on but it would be fine and it could idle all day...

but i see what your all saying with the airflow the electric fan in place of the mechanical is "believed" to be of the same or more cfm than the mechanical but i dont trust the source of the info so we are gonna put a stock mechanical fan in with shroud

4.0's dont just run hot my old '99 had all stock stuff and on a 90something degree day 4-lo rockcrawling in the woods the e-fan would kick on but it would be fine and it could idle all day...

but i see what your all saying with the airflow the electric fan in place of the mechanical is "believed" to be of the same or more cfm than the mechanical but i dont trust the source of the info so we are gonna put a stock mechanical fan in with shroud

by "run hot" i mean that they run higher than the 195 deg that most people are accustomed to, a good system will run that hot all day long with no problems. sometimes it opens a can of worms when someone doesnt like the normal temp range and tries to fight it with new components thinking there will be a benefit. sometimes no problems....

My guess is your electric fan simply does not pull enough air. I have discovered only the best electric fans (Spal, Taurus etc.) will pull enough air to keep the engine cool. You get what you pay for with electric fans. All of these parts store and made in China fans will let you down. I have had no issues whatsoever with my Spal fans. Sure they cost me a good bit of coin but I have not had the many issues I had before them since I installed them.

Do you run an aux trans cooler? that would/could contributed to the heat factor, I drop roughly 5 degrees when I added mine.

has an aux. tranny cooler installed have not verified if its correct...also supposedly the electric fan in there is 800cfm

Is that 800 CFM fan for the transmission cooler or for the engine?

I would go back to mech fan (personally).. In our "area" you want to run your trans line out to an aux cooler and back to the rad then back to the trans.

Back