• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

obd1 fed vs ca whats the difference?

ryurabbit

NAXJA Member #611
So I have a 92 Cherokee and I need to know what the difference is in CA vs Fed emissions with the electronics. I dont see any difference other then Catalytic converter. Anyone know the specifics? :bunny:

Yeah I realize that......Let me explain my problem. I have an ecm with a fried voltage regulator so I installed an external regulator. Now the check engine light comes on intermitantly with codes 41 and 12, voltage out of range and battery recently disconnected. I started looking for a new pcm, but the number on my pcm shows a 2 connector computer with metal case replacement. The one I have is the old style plastic with a single connector. The only one I can find that looks like that is federal. My Jeep states its CA emissions but it was a federal forestry vehicle. :bunny:

Also you cannot order a CAT online and install yourself, certified emissions or exhaust repair shop needs to replace it.

What is the source for this?

I have always done my own exhaust work, cats included. Is this a new rule?

Is it smog time or are you just trying to fix it?

I'll ping Mark Nelson to chime in here. He knows a lot more about this crap than I do. If it's smog time we can probably find you a computer to get you to pass, that will buy you some time to fix it properly.

PS - Why don't you wheel with us anymore! :laugh3:

LOL.....good 'ol Rabbit :bunny:

Nice to see you on here again.

I don't know of the specifics in regards to the electronics, but since they don't plug into an OBD1 vehicle to check it so the electronic side of things shouldn't matter. What exactly are you trying to do here? do you have a bad ecu?

Is it smog time or are you just trying to fix it?

I'll ping Mark Nelson to chime in here. He knows a lot more about this crap than I do. If it's smog time we can probably find you a computer to get you to pass, that will buy you some time to fix it properly.

PS - Why don't you wheel with us anymore! :laugh3:

Just finished putting in the stroker a while ago. Now the stupid smog police wont let me register my jeep because of an alternator!!!! Wifes been in school for 3 years while I support her and I work 2 jobs to do that.

Long story short im trying......:bunny:

p.s. Hey Cracker... whats new Grim Jeeper!! Been a while hasnt it?

What is the source for this?

I have always done my own exhaust work, cats included. Is this a new rule?

You can do your own exhaust work in the communist republic of Kalifordnia, it just has to be CARB certified parts :bunny:

Any modifications to your emissions in Cal you need a valid CARB sticker. Also you cannot order a CAT online and install yourself, certified emissions or exhaust repair shop needs to replace it.
Actually all the new CARB legal cats have the CARB number right on the cat in the metal heat shield. :bunny:

Back