• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

O2 sensor YAY!

5-90 said:
The data protocols may be standard, but (as you mentioned,) the hardware interfaces are different (and not just the "Big 3" - aren't Toyota, Honda, and Nissan also on different hardware bus standards?)

You're right. I checked and there is CAN, ISO, KWP, VPW, and PWM. Starting in 2008, cars sold in the US will be required to use the CAN bus interface (actually a varient of CAN). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II.

I agree with 5-90....engineers have a tendency to design ELEGANT devices, sometimes ELEGANCE does not equate to EFFECTIVE...

Umm, so there are only 2 O2 sensors right? I'm getting the code saying that bank one sensor two has high voltage. That means the sensor sticking out of my cat right?

File 05 said:
Umm, so there are only 2 O2 sensors right? I'm getting the code saying that bank one sensor two has high voltage. That means the sensor sticking out of my cat right?

Yes. The ODB-II codes include the provision for more than 1 bank, such as a V8 with dual exhaust.

To answer the question about the size of the O2 sensors. It would be 7/8" or its metric equivolent of 22mm for 90% of the vehicles out there. A lot of the other 10% are Toyotas and will probably ise 2 studs with 12mm nuts holding them in place.
5-90 is right that the newer WHEGO sensors are more accurate than the old HEGO sensors which are better than the reaaly old EGO. You remember the old 1 wire ones that cost all of $20. Honda and Toyota are 2 OEMs using WHEGO sensors, but they call them Air/Fuel Ratio Sensors instead of osygen sensors and they cost a ton.
Some of the people that are involved in writing the laws concerning emissions laws and regulations due know what they are talking about. My instructor for my Emissions License had a lot to due with PA's Enhanced Emissions Inspection Certifacation program. He gave me a great tip that I will share with you guys. On a lot of newer(OBD-II) vehicles when you have a P0420 Catalyst Efficiency code present there are two primary causes that are not the cat and they cover 95% of the vehicles. Make sure there is no exhaust leak present because it will give a false reading and secondly change the downstream O2 sensor as it at the end of its service life and is giving a false reading. Has not been wrong about it in over 30 changes of O2 sensors so far.
Finally, scanners are great. I use Modis myself, but they are only as smart as the monkey operating it.

Back