• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NW FEST Constructive Criticism thread

OD-XJ said:
I think implementing some of the suggestions here, and some effort by the BOD and key people (maybe and event committe) we can have a great event for next year. .

I agree and would like to help with next years event. maybe we should start by coming up with a location... but thats another thread.

One Idea I would like to add is maybe having NWfest a week or two earlier. Having NWfest the weekend before the 4th of July is a little close.

WaXJ_Skier said:
One Idea I would like to add is maybe having NWfest a week or two earlier. Having NWfest the weekend before the 4th of July is a little close.

Weather in the NW. It usually rains until the 4th... like today...
What we need is an area centrally located between Portland and Seattle with camping and hotels readily available, diverse trails and seperation from the general public.

Evans' Creek? I know there's some camping there, but maybe not enough for a group as large as this year's was. There is a large clearing with concrete shathouses south (?) of the main camping loop, but it's kind of rocky. Might not work for tent camping.

GlueNTape said:
Is there a OHV area between the two?

Evans Creek is probably the best place between Portland and Seattle, although its much closer to Seattle. It also has a nice campground with decent maintained pit toilets. Plenty of trails to keep people busy for 2 days, but no hotels close by. A reservation is probably necessary to hold a weekend event.

This is the same location as the PNWJeep M&G, but if we hold NWfest earlier in the year, I don't think they would mind.

Edit: Foob beat me to it, but the campground is plenty big for our event. 45-50 rigs will be pushing it though.

-Jeremy

Alright, I second (or first? I don't know) the vote for Evans' Creek.

One last constructive criticism, as it applies to members: Be responsible for your guests. I'm not sure who invited the Chehalis guys (whom I thought were good guys and enjoyed wheeling with) but they would fall into whom I'm talking about here regarding this. If you bring a guest, explain to them that they should be responsible and behave reasonably. Both of the campfire incidents directly involved guests, and everyone knows whom and what I'm talking about here. If we take away those two incidents, then camp and campfire issues become all but non-existant.

OD-XJ said:
Evans Creek is probably the best place between Portland and Seattle, although its much closer to Seattle. It also has a nice campground with decent maintained pit toilets. Plenty of trails to keep people busy for 2 days, but no hotels close by. A reservation is probably necessary to hold a weekend event.
-Jeremy

Isn't there a Hotel right behind the 410 Cafe, a big one? Its been a while since I lived down South but IIRC the 410 Cafe (and the Hotel behind it) not being too far from the Evans turnoff off of HWY410.

Sideshow said:
Isn't there a Hotel right behind the 410 Cafe, a big one? Its been a while since I lived down South but IIRC the 410 Cafe (and the Hotel behind it) not being too far from the Evans turnoff off of HWY410.

Yeah, you might be right. I guess that would be about 20 minutes/half hour from the campground?

Evans Creek would be good, but it does fill up fast /w that many rigs. We hold our annual large event there and it works out very well. The trails are fairly short, very scenic, and there is a wide variety. The trails are also much more well known by many people here and very easily split up into several groups and run many trails. There are also two very separated campfire/shelter areas. One could be designated for the more "rowdy" crowd and the other more family friendly if necessary, and families could pick their camp spots accordingly. There is no reservation process per se, but if you contact Derrick Clark (360-761-7096, for future reference), the host coordinator well ahead of time and set NAXJA up as camp hosts that weekend, it will pretty much guarantee you the best of the camp spots.
Camp hosts responsibility include garbage patrol of camp, making sure the toilets are stocked /w TP, etc. It's very easy.

Also, I do believe that hotel is still in Buckley and would be approx. 30-40 minutes from the campground area.

John

OD-XJ said:
There is actually three of them.
-Jeremy

I knew there were 3, i was talking about at the event, and by no means do i blame you for not showing up.Everyone has their own life to deal with, and i think evans creek is a great idea, trails are close to camp, alot of us are familiar with the trails.

Sean

What about TSF? They have a nice variety of trails that all dump out onto roads. The only issue I might see is getting lost, I spent a couple hours trying to find camp in the dark last time I was there.

WaXJ_Skier said:
What about TSF? They have a nice variety of trails that all dump out onto roads. The only issue I might see is getting lost, I spent a couple hours trying to find camp in the dark last time I was there.

Did you try a map? :p

Just kidding, I still get lost up there too.

If you come down to TSF, I'll guide you guys but not the "west side" of Archers Firebreak...lol. I do know the long way back to camp still though. Otherwise, I know the area well in some cases like my own back yard.. A benefit of being middle aged..lol
If we get some of the group sites at browns camp you would have facilities and plenty of parking too.
Rod,Torx, and most of these guys down are getting to know the TSF trails pretty dam good now. I'm sure as a group we could keep things lively and moving on the trail.
In the club I belong too, we alternate between Wa, and Or every year...
Btw, made it up can opener Saturday, but two buddies of mine were denied at the Mini Rubicon... that place looks even harder now, even though it's dry. Highly recommend a tow line before attempting the hard part now, with out it.. he would have went over endo style...
IMG_0265.jpg

Last edited:
IXNAYXJ said:
We did TSF in 2007. To be honest, I was not impressed with it any of the four times I've been down there. I don't think it offers any advantage over Naches and shares all of the disadvantages. Also, while I personaly love Evans Creek, I'd bet it's barely any closer than Naches.

-----Matt-----

Are you still bitter that Mini Rubicon denied you? :gag:

Just teasin, the only advantage is the aspect of alternating the location to make it close for the ones that were far away from Naches really.

WheelinJR said:
Are you still bitter that Mini Rubicon denied you? :gag:

Just teasin, the only advantage is the aspect of alternating the location to make it close for the ones that were far away from Naches really.
The 'Con and I are one and one. ;)

I don't dislike the option of alternating areas, I just think the quality of the area needs to be taken ito account. And don't forget, I drove 3.5 hours to get to Naches and some others in Wa drove 5+ hours. TSF would have been closer timewise for a lot of us, too.

-----Matt-----

Back