• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS Questions...

2WDNICK

NAXJA Forum User
Is there such a thing as a Reverse NSS? I read somewehere there are two types of NSS, One for reverse lights and one without reverse lights. Is this true? Also, .... Are those NSS`s advertised on EBAY for $50 any good? Thanks.

Not sure about the reverse question but Usually a good cleaning and new grease is all thats needed to these. The housing comes apart fairly easy. Contacts need a good cleaning is about all thats inside.

I am considering purchasing one of these cheap ones so that my XJ is not down and rebuilding the original one.

I have found several rebuild tutorials online.

Thanks for the reply.

On a standard transmission the NSS is on the Clutch pedal. So on the transmission there is only a switch for the reverse lights.

That's probably what you saw.

I tried to clean my switch (best solution) but it broke pulling it off. I bought the one off Ebay and it works, just acts up a little sometimes. Very cheap quality.

Is there such a thing as a Reverse NSS? I read somewehere there are two types of NSS, One for reverse lights and one without reverse lights. Is this true? Also, .... Are those NSS`s advertised on EBAY for $50 any good? Thanks.

So an RNSS? There is a switch (switch) on the tranny for reverse lights on a manual...and there is a Neutral Safety Switch (NSS)on automatics to keep the thing from starting in Drive or Reverse which also incorporates the reverse lights. But I believe that all XJ models have reverse lights.

Since the original part can run from $150 to upwards of $200 for a new one...I doubt the "new" ones on ebay are of any kind of decent quality. I got one from a Jeep at the junkyard (for $20) and cleaned and rebuilt it myself...5 years ago. So there's also that possibility. Plus you can practice breaking a few of them before you break yours. Slow & sure gets it off.

Back