• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242-worn chain or linkage out of adjustment after lift?

i have the same problem.(91 xj) it started the other day in a snowstorm. under load, it would pop then kick out of 4hi into 2hi. i could feel the front axle not engaging/grabbing cause it fishtailed more after the pop. at low throttle it wouldnt really pop but if i hammered it a little to get wheelspin, i could get it to pop. 4lo kinda makes popping noise too under load. is it related to the vaccum lines? i gotta fix it soon so throw me a bone. :gonnablow

sorry no suggestions just to mention I hae a similar problem ... 90 XJ with Np242 transfer case.

Pops out of 4wd when torque is applied, when in 4Lo it will become 2L or sometimes grinding noise.
Seems to be able to hold it longer if I hold the 4wd shifter up.
Altough when in 4h will become 2H, so I doubt it is only linkage adjustment.

My transfer case is dropped 1", the linkage has been adjusted, but has a fair amount of play.

Engine and trasnmission mounts are fairly new.

I'm thinking of getting the rebuild kit and chain :eyes:

so ... I went with a friend to have a look at engine mounts :repair:
seems my driver side engine mount is not good

those POS engine mounts last less than a fart in my hand :explosion

I have a similar problem with '98 - 242, but I'm pretty sure it's my chain. If I get into a situation where the the back tires spin and I put it in 4wd, it just pops and doesn't go anywhere. Front tires/drive shaft don't spin.

One test someone told me to do was to stop on dry pavement, put it in full time 4wd and try and power brake it. I tried this and the xj would try and surge forward then the t-case would pop.

I have adjusted the linkage a couple different times, but no change. One of these days I'm going to get a new chain and rebuild kit and got through it....

tried that test and it worked but only sometimes. can a stretched chain be intermittent in failure? or should i consider linkage being off?:confused1

and what about vaccum lines? not really a intermittent failure either? i would think not, but anyone ran into this and has a solution?

checked it all out. it needs a new tranny mount. its moving just enough to throw the linkage off.
now onto the exhaust which i kinda seperated on the power lines the other day.....

I just replaced the chain in my 242, the chain was $60.00 the job took about 2 hours. The old chain came off with out me taking the gear off thats how loose mine was. Slapped on the new chain and no more clunk.

You may want to check the vacuum disco on the front axle as well. On my '89 I had nothing but problems with the front popping in and out just like you explained. You could try pulling the vacuum disco off and washering the shift fork over or do a posi-lock. I did a posi lock and was still getting the popping. Turned out the shift for was cracked. It moved over enough to engage the front axle, but then would pop out under load. Thank God for the solid axle's on the '91(i believe) and up... Hope this helps...

Back