• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231J SYE types

i didn't want to start a new thread, figured this one was close enough....so i'll hijack this one instead...

real quick question...i am going to be installing my Teraflex HD SYE this weekend. Read a million writeups on the JB and AA SYE's. they each say there are bearings that need to be pressed in. I don't have a press so i figured a shop could do this. The guy i bought the sye from(dc4wd) said there are no bearings to press in on the teraflex one. is this true? also, has anyone come across a teraflex specific writeup? I just need to make plans for a ride if i need a shop to press in bearings....thanks for any and all help

josh

jbowser12 said:
i didn't want to start a new thread, figured this one was close enough....so i'll hijack this one instead...

real quick question...i am going to be installing my Teraflex HD SYE this weekend. Read a million writeups on the JB and AA SYE's. they each say there are bearings that need to be pressed in. I don't have a press so i figured a shop could do this. The guy i bought the sye from(dc4wd) said there are no bearings to press in on the teraflex one. is this true? also, has anyone come across a teraflex specific writeup? I just need to make plans for a ride if i need a shop to press in bearings....thanks for any and all help

josh

The Teraflex is basically the same kit as the JB and AA. They are either talking about the output bearing or the two needle bearings in the chain gear that is on the main shaft. Earlier 231's have the two caged needle bearings and at some point they quit putting them in there. The JB super short I just did required removing the needle bearings completely.

Neither of those bearings require a press. I use a seal driver (aluminum pucks) to drive them in, but a big socket, piece of pipe, etc will work. Just drive on the outside edge of the bearing (where it meets the case) not the center.

yeah, one write up spoke of those needle bearings, the other refered to the output bearing. Doesn't sound like its going to be a problem anyway...thanks a lot...

www.rustysoffroad.com SYE AND DS 480.00 and a breeze to install

From DC4WD I got the teraflex HD SYE and tom woods ds for 413 shipped. hopefully this will be a breeze to install as well, from what i have read it seems pretty basic...

53guy said:
question about the spline. never took apart a transfer case. what spline are you talking about? output shaft of what? do you have to mod anything else to use a 32 spline?

Just like Lincoln already said, it's referring to the spline count and size of the rear output shaft, which is what you are replacing by installing the slip yoke eliminator (SYE). The HD kits come with a larger 32 spline shaft, which installs in place of the stock shaft. If you really beef up your axles, the t-case output shaft can become the weak link, which isn't a good thing, so if you're doing an SYE it should be a HD with the 32 spline shaft.

Yep...that's what I run.

Back