• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231J rebuild question

amorth

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought a used NP231J off a 1999 Cherokee Sport AW4 with 160k miles on it to toy around with and learn from. My goal is to rebuild it with a SYE to replace mine (2000 Sport AW4).

I'm gathering as much info as I can on the rebuild, but I'd like to get some opinions on the master rebuild kits from Novak and JB Conversions. Is one recommended over the other? I want to do this right the first time and not have to go back in because something was missed. I see that the one from Novak comes with a chain whereas the JB one does not. Is it worth the cost to increase the chain from 1" to the 1 1/4"?

Thanks everyone! :D

First I would dissasemble, clean and inspect it and find out what you need, it may only need a chain or maybe just seals or maybe nothing. If it wasn't abuse I'm sure it will be fine, if you wanna beaf it up a bit go JB's wide chain and planetary seup.

there are a lot of things you can do to a 231. things like a D231HD wide chain and 6 planetary, to a 231 doubler, to a D300/231 combo, to an SYE, to 2 low, while your in doing your rebuild. search on here and you will definitely find a plethora of info.

If you are going to crack the case, at least get a new set of shifter pads. Besides an SYE, the Tera 2 Low has been the best upgrade for the buck running ledge roads here in Colorado.

Back