• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 swap

i bought a 86 xj a few years back that had a broken 242. i had a 21 short spline 231 laying around.the trans was 21 long spline a998/a999 trans. i got the teraflex seal extension.bolted it in.didnt worry about the vacuum lines because it was a non disconnect axle.i put the 4x4 switch in where the vacum switch would have gone. everything worked good enough to sell the vechicle and make some extra case.

i bought a 86 xj a few years back that had a broken 242. i had a 21 short spline 231 laying around.the trans was 21 long spline a998/a999 trans. i got the teraflex seal extension.bolted it in.didnt worry about the vacuum lines because it was a non disconnect axle.i put the 4x4 switch in where the vacum switch would have gone. everything worked good enough to sell the vechicle and make some extra case.

You made an extra case? :D

WTF? Is it good enough for off roading?

i bought a 86 xj a few years back that had a broken 242.

IIRC, an '86 XJ would have had either an NP207 or NP228 transfer case - are you sure it was an NP242 (or an '86)?

Last edited:
Back