• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np231 rebuild kit, upgrade tricks

crazymaci

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, im gonna be putting in my sye in this week or next and was wondering if anyone can recommend a good manufacturer on a rebuild kit? Also any upgrades? I think i may need a new chain(yoke moves pretty good, can really feel it in 4low when going from drive to reverse) i think i heard you can run an s10 chain, a little wider? Not sure. Not to much when you use the search button any help would be awsome thanks

A new stock chain and some shift fork tabs, and it's good as new.

Bought a rebuild kit from JB Conversions, it had all the pieces needed plus a new chain.
http://www.jbconversions.com/index2.php?pc=1
If you have a lot of money to spend, can upgrade to the wider chain kit and/or a 6 pinion planetary gear but neither is necessary for the 4.0.

Got a related question for someone. Just installed my megashort sye this weekend. The splines on the shaft don't touch the teeth inside the oil pump plate? Is this a problem or will it shift together when 4wd is activated? Do I need to adjust something to get the shaft to slide into the teeth?

I got this photo online but placed a yellow arrow to indicate the area I'm talking about.

That looks like the kit i would want,a little steep for me at the moment. A new chain and those plastic tabs looks like thats the route, any seals that look iffy i can hit up omni seal

Thread bump....due to life being life, i just got around to getting out my t case. I want to drop in the 6 gear planetary and 1 1/4" chain and gears. Who knows what factory case i can get these from. A 242 can get me the planatary? Any leads would help.

6 planetary can be found in a 241 from full size Chevy. Of course you'll have to change the input shaft to your jeep input. The 1 1/4 chain and gears, including front output shaft, can be pulled from a 231c out of an S10. Some S10s have a 231hd which have all those parts and are much harder to find. I personally pulled these parts at my local pick n pull and assembled it for a friend. I'm sure there are other cases that have these parts but that is what I used.

Got a related question for someone. Just installed my megashort sye this weekend. The splines on the shaft don't touch the teeth inside the oil pump plate? Is this a problem or will it shift together when 4wd is activated? Do I need to adjust something to get the shaft to slide into the teeth?

I got this photo online but placed a yellow arrow to indicate the area I'm talking about.

Big problem. The shaft itself doesn't move with 4wd engagement.

Thread bump....due to life being life, i just got around to getting out my t case. I want to drop in the 6 gear planetary and 1 1/4" chain and gears. Who knows what factory case i can get these from. A 242 can get me the planatary? Any leads would help.

Or save time/effort and just get all the parts from eBay. That's what I did, check the link in my sig.

Or save time/effort and just get all the parts from eBay. That's what I did, check the link in my sig.

Bingo.i found a suplier on ebay,powertrainpartsplus. He had the chain,gears and planetary for 200$. However i was going on the assumption my chain was stretched,and when i opened up my case everything was perfect,tight chain,no metal.even the shift fork tabs were perfect. The slop i was feeling when shifted from drive to reverse and the otherway around was the 1/4" slop in the gear.seemed like thats how jeep designed it. So i put it all back together with the sye and away i went. Also spent all my jeep money on a killer deal on a camper to go with the jeep:woohoo:

Beware, there was a split on the years around 94/95 where they changed the cut on the teeth. You want to know what you have before you buy a replacement planetary. This is a good upgrade, I did mine ages ago, 1.25" chain and 6 gear planetary.

Back