• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 231 Stripped out fill plug

When I got my 01' the hex wrench opening in the upper plug was rounded off.
Next option was to hammer in a torx , but it too rounded off.

Outstanding...

So I took a gaze around the garage looking for options I could do myself, now 11th hour before a trail ride) with out disassembling it and increase the probability I would be able to get it out next time.

Digging though my piles of assorted crap, I found that a 1/4" NPT Tap. So I got out the Drill/Tap card and found a drill that would cover that on the small side of the range.

Now I was cooking with gas!

Crawling under the Jeep (Aren't lifted Jeeps easier to work on :D ), I carefully drilled down the bore of the existing plug, stopping every now and again to clear the hole of filings. When I got close, the hole started to weep, so I knew I was about though. I backed off the drill and made sure that the hole was clean on break through by making the advance slow and at low speed.

Nice start!

Next I took some ATF and squeezed it though the hole by using a round Bud Light bottle and a gear lube nozzle. I overfilled it and let the remainder dribble out into the kitty litter tray I use to change oil with. Then I tapped the hole using the 1/4 NPT tap. The plug I used is some $1.50 at True Value. It has a 1/4 NPT thread and a square end.

2 down, just one or two more steps!

I drained the case, and refilled using the magic Bud Light bottle method and a some ATF that I had laying around.
Then I put some Permatex #2 on the plug threads so it wouldn't leak and ran it in about 3/4 the way.

Done!

No issues. No welder, no slicing up the case with a cutting tool, no dissasembly, nothing except a couple of tools you can buy at the local hardware store. No special tools will be needed to remove it either, just your hardware store brand "metric" adjustable wrench. The best part? It took less than a 1/2 hour and the rig was ready to wheel!

I wish I had pix to share, but I was in a hurry.

Back