• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 231 issues

XJ_Vikings

NAXJA Forum User
to start: 97 sport 4.0 5spd manual 4" lift 30" tires

When i am at a stop sign on a hill and i put it into first and give it a little gas my shifter will jump around a little and i have a pretty nasty noise right below the cupholders. It happened real bad offroading doing some hill climbs, i thought it was gonna jump through the console. When im real easy on it or starting going downhill its silent, its only when im getting on it quick in first gear.

my first thought was tranny mount, and im just waiting to get my bottle jack up at school to swap that out, because it is a little worn.

today when i was scrutenizing it while driving it felt like it was a problem INSIDE the t-case while it was securely on the xmember. which brings me to my question

is it possible that something inside the transfer case is loose and making the noise? it only does it in first gear when im a little hard on it.

thanks

mine does this too...I believe it is the bushings on the t-case lever that need replacing. I've seen some write ups on it in the past

those bushings on the T-case lever go bad.

Go to a DODGE or MERCEDES dealeship to get them. For some reason, they are cheaper there (like 50 cents) whereas at a Jeep dealership they want $2.00 a bushing.

I always carry a handfull in my trail spares box.

im gonna be installing an AA SYE this summer with my lift and would rather wait to change it then. how long, normally, can one drive on a loose chain??

Last edited:
Back