• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nov. 23rd Sunday - Shakedown at Reiter

Exactly why I want to get it home...so I can check everything. Where are the main gounds anyhow? I only really know of the one on the firewall (which wasn't connected when I bought the Jeep). I'm going to do a final run down on the Jeep after school tomorrow to see if I can find anything wrong.

~Scott

dude, your main ground is on the battery....:looser:

:sad1:

Keil

dude, your main ground is on the battery....:looser:

:sad1:

Keil

The ground "system" for the XJ is pretty poor and only gets worse with time (Although I doubt this is your total problem, give us some more detail on what it is and is not doing so we can help you out, as Doug said, in the tech forums you will get much more feedback) but should be replaced when given a chance (this goes for anyone else who hasn't already).

The ground goes from the Neg side of the battery to the frame rail, to the engine block and to the firewall. These should all be reaplaced with new grounds (preferably larger) cable. I would also replace the charge wire from the Alt to the battery pos side while I was at it.

Do a search in the tech forums there is lots of info and more detail and even companies that provide pre-made wires. Personally I made my own, but it is up to you.

Michael

I've searched, and I've posted...you guys seem to help a little more. :) (Maybe because you are more likely to help who you know?)

Anyhow I managed to start the Jeep today both times that I tried. I had to hook up jumper cables and keep cranking her to start. This is after I replaced my starter and starter relay...I've found when the Jeeps not running its really hard to put her in park, only when it's running will the shifter move. SOOO I'm thinking NSS...off to work I go, ehh?

~Scott

(as of this moment I'm still in for Reiter)

I've searched, and I've posted...you guys seem to help a little more. :) (Maybe because you are more likely to help who you know?)

Anyhow I managed to start the Jeep today both times that I tried. I had to hook up jumper cables and keep cranking her to start. This is after I replaced my starter and starter relay...I've found when the Jeeps not running its really hard to put her in park, only when it's running will the shifter move. SOOO I'm thinking NSS...off to work I go, ehh?

~Scott

(as of this moment I'm still in for Reiter)

This probably has more to do with the brake interlock switch. In order to shift you are supposed to have your foot on the brake pedal and when it is not running it is difficult to get the brake close enough to the floor to get the switch to let it shift.
Also make sure the shift handle is all the way down (hit it hard with your fist).

This being an intermitent issue that it seems to be, have you double checked every connection you have made? Double check all the grounds and make sure they are all clean also.
Michael

Alright Michael, I'll perform your check list! (As of now.)

~Scott

Just thought I'd bring this thread back to its original intent. We have reached the maximum number of people I ever hoped of having join us...so if you haven't already said you're going, please plan accordingly to us having a very large group.

Head count right now is at about 10 rigs.

~Scott

P.S. I still intend on wheeling this weekend, unless some catistrophic problem occurs driving around tomorrow, my Jeep has become fairly predictable. If you have a problem wheeling with my when I need to be jumped after I shut the engine off (more or less) to start her back up then speak up now.

No problem here. I carry jumper cables & a jump box due to the reliability of the early generation alternators & their ideal location.

On a side note.... I have confirmed 3 out of 5 tag-a-longs so far. Just to confirm we are still meeting at 10 in the main parking area?

No problem here. I carry jumper cables & a jump box due to the reliability of the early generation alternators & their ideal location.

On a side note.... I have confirmed 3 out of 5 tag-a-longs so far. Just to confirm we are still meeting at 10 in the main parking area?

I carry 2 sets of jumpers and a charged jumper battery.

Alright so with your confirmed 3 rigs, I have one for sure rig and 2 others possibly in addition to Lyle (Bruno "tm"), and it sounds like another naxja user or two will be joining us? Anyhow, yes the plan is to meet at the parking lot at 10AM. We'll ship out at 10:20 AM at the LATEST! Plan to be at the parking lot early to air down and such. I plan on being at Reiter around 9:40ish so I can run a quick powerline trail and see how the conditions are.

I have a CB, I'll be on channel 23. Also, if you want my phone number shoot me a PM.

~Scott

oops.

I'm coming too. We'll see you in the morning. :D

Willy

I'm leaving my house about 8:30. And I'll be topping of at the chervron as well. Currently I'm replacing my CPS, so hopefully I'll be able to start under my own power tomorrow!

The sensor originally was litterally burnt all the way to the wire, and it read 2 ohms when it should read over 200.

~Scott

Well it was a pretty good day overall, we ended up splitting up gradually as the day went on, but Willy and I finished our runs around 5pm...and got some good exploration in. (plus it gave me a good chance to test my hellas and rock light)

I'll have pics up in a bit.

My damage:
-Rear passenger light is broken.
-Whole rear panel (top and bottom) is banged up pretty good.
-death woble (HORRIBLY, I went 30mph about the whole way home and would get it every 5 minutes or less, then on when I was almost home every 30seconds or so at 25mph-ish I'd get it and have to hit the brakes each time to stop or stear.)

Bright side is, my no start problem is no longer. She starts up all on her own now. :)

~Scott

check for mud in the rims, that will cause the dw

This is real DW not that pansy crap wheels will give you (although I do still have part of a tree in my wheel). I mean full on you can't-control-feel-like-your-going-to-die DW. I havent aligned my new tierod yet...so that's probably it, that or I bent a drive shaft (I have some good scratched on it and the u-joints).

Pics are uploading.

~Scott

Back