• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

nothing turns it

Brian Carpenter

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, So I have completely screwed up a lug nut... :bawl:
wasted it good. :gee:
no hope of a wrench or socket ever getting a good grip (looks a bit like popcorn) Do any of you have an old school trick for removing it? Its locking on an aluminum Jeep rim that usually takes a hammer to remove even without nuts.. I have no torches. just those little Mapp Gas things. @ botles of screw-loose didn't do it..

any ideas? :confused:

Brian Carpenter said:
Ok, So I have completely screwed up a lug nut... :bawl:
wasted it good. :gee:
no hope of a wrench or socket ever getting a good grip (looks a bit like popcorn) Do any of you have an old school trick for removing it? Its locking on an aluminum Jeep rim that usually takes a hammer to remove even without nuts.. I have no torches. just those little Mapp Gas things. @ botles of screw-loose didn't do it..

any ideas? :confused:

If you have room try notching the outside with a chisel and a BFH to get it going. I would think after a couple good knocks it would start to turn.

Do you need to save the wheel ??

The chisel thing is how it got to look like popcorn.. the wheel would get me a few bucks at a garage sale, but I guess the axle is whats important.. I just can't see grinding through the wheel to get a nut off. Hasta

Brian Carpenter said:
The chisel thing is how it got to look like popcorn.. the wheel would get me a few bucks at a garage sale, but I guess the axle is whats important.. I just can't see grinding through the wheel to get a nut off. Hasta

DYNAMITE!!!!

If you can weld,then weld a nut to the end of your stripped nut.I did this to remove a set of wheel locks that the key broke.

Its pretty far into the wheel, but You may be on to something.. I could even weld on a longer breaker-bar sort of thing..

Anyone know how hard it would be to break a lug bolt?

take an extension from your socket set.....

weld the male end of it to the lug......slip you ratchet in the female and and walla!!!!

I got one off by using a cutting wheel on an angle grinder. I plunged into the center on the nut twice, making an "x" like a big phillips screw then I chiseled through the nut (and the stud) to break them. This of course, destroys the stud as well, but it worked.

I bought a used XJ that was equipped with a set of wheel locks -- and no key. I figured out what size 12-point socket was just slightly too small to fit over the locks, went to Sears and bought a nice new one with clean, sharp edges, and hammered it onto the locks. Then inserted a long breaker bar and the locks came off.

I expected to break the socket at least twice doing 4 locks, but it held up fine and I now have a spare deep 12-point socket in whatever size it was.

had the same prob. I bought a set of easy out sockets, they are made just for rounded nuts and bolts. they have a twist inside of them similar to the twist on an easy out. the size I used was 3/4. they are 3/8 inch drive. however, they are shaped like a nut on the end. I slid a 1 1/16 impact socket over the end of it and used a 1/2 inch drive cheater bar. you might have to pound the eazy out socket over the lug nut. came right out. napa has a set for about $115.00 autozone has a set for $19.00. I tried the air chisel thing and about everything else I could think of including taking to a tire shop. The nut also looked like popcorn. Took about 2 seconds with the right tool

Last edited:
Eagle said:
I bought a used XJ that was equipped with a set of wheel locks -- and no key. I figured out what size 12-point socket was just slightly too small to fit over the locks, went to Sears and bought a nice new one with clean, sharp edges, and hammered it onto the locks. Then inserted a long breaker bar and the locks came off.

I expected to break the socket at least twice doing 4 locks, but it held up fine and I now have a spare deep 12-point socket in whatever size it was.

Thats always worked for me!

Autozone carries a tool for removing this type of problem. It looks like a socket but the inside is a tapered cone shape with left hand threads. You place it over the nut, tap it lightly with a hammer, connect a ratchet and off it comes.

old_man said:
Autozone carries a tool for removing this type of problem. It looks like a socket but the inside is a tapered cone shape with left hand threads. You place it over the nut, tap it lightly with a hammer, connect a ratchet and off it comes.

that's the one. worked for me.

Back