• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

North Maine Woods Trip 2015

ryan13

NAXJA Forum User
This was a little trip myself and a few friends went on in early June.

We started in eastern mass and went up into the North Maine Woods and a lot of logging country. None of us had been up here before so it was very much a live and learn type of trip. Some roads we traveled on had not been used in 10+ years so things got interesting very fast in some situations.

6 days, 5 nights
about 1300 miles round trip, 400ish were on dirt/trails.
6 rigs started, 5 continued on. 10 people total.

It was an exploration/camping/overland style trip.
All spare parts and tools were packed per vehicle.
10 gallons of extra gas per vehicle due to the remote areas we reached.

3 out of 6 rigs were built for this trip as a maiden voyage, mine being one of them.

Any questions, feel free to ask. My brother (hippie in overalls) was the photographer of this album since he was mostly a passenger. I'll post up the other album soon.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0By99UtvuUZyLfjAtMHZLRkhGRXpyZ1RpMGNwdUQ0aURscTJadDN4YXJzcnZjM1ktNU5Xdlk&usp=sharing

I wanted to add this to my first post but I cannot edit it... Can a MOD put this link in the first post too please?

EDIT: 2nd Album (this is a mix of everyone's pictures over the trip so they are not in any order.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1egyELU8IPts3ILU0gVdHJH2dbphSE6x7tO1M7f39rtU&usp=sharing

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll have to give this a good look when I get home from work for sure. My grandfather had a hunting trailer in Jackman and used to take me up there in summers as a kid. My first wheeling adventures were in his old bronco. He would wake us up around 11 pm and we'd get lost in those logging roads til morning checking out bear and moose closer than comfortably.....an unforgettable experience as a kid, though..think it has a lot to do with the way I am today. Glad you all made it out safe, I'll bet it was a memorable experience!
Rich

Did you post this on expo? I feel like I've seen these pics before. Looks amazing, I want to do this trip badly.

I have personally not posted this up on there. I don't think any of the other guys have either.

There was a group of Ford Raptors up there as well doing something similar. But with them it was a lot more ON road than off. No mud to be seen with them haha. Definitely some impressive trucks tho.

Hmm maybe I'm just thinking they look familiar from others I've seen. I've been looking at a LOT of trip reports lately... been really itching to go out west again.

Hmm maybe I'm just thinking they look familiar from others I've seen. I've been looking at a LOT of trip reports lately... been really itching to go out west again.

Carol and I are looking at a moab run next year, Adam...the more, the merrier!

Looks like a heck of a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing.

Carol and I are looking at a moab run next year, Adam...the more, the merrier!

Moab would be unreal to go to. Especially driving the jeep there and back. It's definitely on my bucket list.

Looks like a heck of a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing.

Anytime! It was a ton of fun up there. Different way of wheeling and different way of life for sure. Completely disconnected from the grid for a few days at a time is very refreshing.

Moab would be unreal to go to. Especially driving the jeep there and back. It's definitely on my bucket list.

I don't recommend it if you have any type of romantic personality. Its been eating me up lately that I haven't gone back. I totally forgot about it, but I will 100% be in moab for the tail end of ESJ 2016 (flying) so I'm not sure if I'll drive out there next year. It is awesome out west. Totally unreal.

I'm definitely going to take a few days off and do a trip to NH/VT camping trip this fall.

Back