• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NO turnsignals

I have the same problem in my '95 XJ (no turn sigs, hazards or brake lights). Can't get good coinciding info though. Haynes manual says one thing, official '95 D/chrysler service manual says another. Both say I should have a fuse in the fuse block at #8 position, there is not one there, never has, in fact slot for fuse only has female fuse clip on one side not both, so there could never be continuity there. Haynes says I should have a turn signal flasher and hazard flasher on the fuse block. owners manual and official DC service manual say there are no flashers on fuse block, rather a combo turn/hazard flasher is built into a relay in the relay center to the left of steering column. Rarely, they will work, but it is very rare (indicates to me a short or bad ground somewhere. I suspect it is the combo turn signal/hazard switch, but have not tried replacing yet. The lack of fuse in the fuse block really fazes me out. Recently, (in the past year and a half) had a headlight harness connector melt (the one to the fender side of airbox under the hood) dont know if that may have had anything to do with it. Also, year before that ignition switch in steering column went bad, (corrosion-burned up). Both are now fixed, but now the light problem, could there be a connection? Anyway, I have the plastic surround off the steering column, do I really need to disable the airbag like service manual recommends just to replace the turn/hazard switch? I really think it is that switch because wipers dont always work either, which the service manual says wipers have some connection in that multifunction switch.

Tim,
I had the same problem on my '87 XJ. Let me guess, no dash lights or parking lights but your light switch turns on the headlights and dome light. First off, check to see if the PARKLPS 10 Amp fuse isn't blown. Remove the driver's side under dash side trim. It should be two screws that hold in and it wraps around the hood release. There is a metal bracket on the side trim itself that is shorting to ground. Move the wire bundles and disconnect and reconnect any electrical connectors you can see. When you re-attach the the side trim make sure that the metal bracket isn't touching any wire harnesses. Also, check to see if the right bulbs are installed in the tail lights. this should solve your problem. If it doesn't, then I would start looking at your lights switch itself. Hope this helps!!

This is for those of you that have had turn/hazard problems. I did the obvious, checked the fuses, checked the bulbs, flashers, etc...all were good. No power to the fuse block, but I had it going to the firewall connector. After cussing the engineers out for makingit so easy to get at, I found that the bottom most pin (if I remember right) was dissolved by electrolosys. So I cheated and ran a wire through the firewall to the fuseblock. Fixed. Two weeks later, my brake lights went out. Turns out the brake light fuse is fed by a separate wire going right to the battery terminal, and was corroded beyond recognition. Yet another jumper to the rescue. Sorry about writing a book about it. Remember, when making connections, don't cheat with the crimp-on connectors. Take the time and use the soldering iron, it sure save headaches down the road! Hope it helps!!

Jesse
91 XJ
3.5" RE lift, 31" Geolanders

Using crimp-on connectors isn't cheating, but leaving off some high-quality dielectric grease by the manufacturer is!!!
Use NO-OX (or similar) everywhere!!!!! :wave:

Jesse's 91 XJ said:
This is for those of you that have had turn/hazard problems. I did the obvious, checked the fuses, checked the bulbs, flashers, etc...all were good. No power to the fuse block, but I had it going to the firewall connector. After cussing the engineers out for makingit so easy to get at, I found that the bottom most pin (if I remember right) was dissolved by electrolosys. So I cheated and ran a wire through the firewall to the fuseblock. Fixed. Two weeks later, my brake lights went out. Turns out the brake light fuse is fed by a separate wire going right to the battery terminal, and was corroded beyond recognition. Yet another jumper to the rescue. Sorry about writing a book about it. Remember, when making connections, don't cheat with the crimp-on connectors. Take the time and use the soldering iron, it sure save headaches down the road! Hope it helps!!

Jesse
91 XJ
3.5" RE lift, 31" Geolanders

Mich88XJ said:
I have a similar problem with my 88 Laredo. When my headlights are on, the right arrow on the turn signal glows, and when the turn signal is switched on, it flashes slow. With my hazard flashers on, the front flashers actually alternate flashes, one then the other. I don't know what it could be, maybe any of you could help me out.
This problem is a bad ground. What's happening is that the parking lights don't have a good ground, so they create one by back-feeding through the turn signal filament (different filament, same bulb). I have this on my 88 MJ and haven't gotten around to cleaning up the ground yet. I expect to find a lot of corrosion in the main headlight connector by the airbox.

Back