• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start RENIX, injectors not firing.

Down two hours at the Laundromat. Don't ask why the Maytag isn't working - either. Plugged the CPS in when I got back, and, of course, it fired right back up again. This is the second time in four weeks. It's getting replaced.

I saved the TSB link I posted, the new one is going in as low as possible. Other makes actually have a square patch of cardboard stuck on them and installed in contact with the tone wheel for the correct backset. I don't see why that can't be done with slotting the mount per the TSB.

I'll find post it notes inside the bell housing in a few years and wonder how they got in there.

:yap:I noticed that your o2 sensor is painted, I doubt it"s your intermittant no-start problem but it should be clean and oil free.
picture.php

Also, have you done the CPS Connector bypass that routes the CPS directly to the ECU and eliminates the OEM troublesome wiring?
picture.php
You can sorta see the new connector w/purple and wht wire and old unused connector below CCV line.

And make sure your firewall ground is clean and paint free
picture.php

Would you believe - blew off replacing the CPS yesterday, no start this morning. Had to work 8 to 5, too. Oh Well.

Thanks for that lead on a CPS mod to clean up the wiring. I'm heading outside to work in the 100 degree heat so it will start tomorrow.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

That O2 sensor is probably worthless and useless after being painted, as they hate silicone, and are porous for a reason, they need to breath to measure the O2 differential partial pressures to work.

And that whole area under the hood is way too clean for that jeep to ever run right, LOL.

:cheers:

Yeah, I got a little (a lot) carried away with the rustoleum, but once I got started, everything new just looked so good, and everything old looked SO BAD...

I obviously didn't know that about the O2 sensor. But it runs like a top, will bark the 35s, and is returning 16mpg driving like a pissed off 16 year old. The first couple tanks, babying it on the new engine, it was close to 18.

Anyway, the matter at hand: it's now started without fail, at least twice a day, for two weeks. The last time I posted I had pulled the CKP plug to check it, and wiggled the not-a-C101 connector. (According to cruizer's post, that was eliminated on my 89.) It started and got me home, but I didn't feel like I had done anything to really fix it, so I was afraid to drive it. I started it every morning and night for a week, trying to replicate. No dice.

Last week, I took that connector apart and cleaned all the schidt out of it, and started driving it again. I did buy another CKP, but it looks to be such a pain in the ass to change, I'm going to resist until I actually see a bad reading on my meter.

Again, I'm not really sure I "did" anything to fix it. But it's starting fine now (or was until I posted this and jinxed it!), so I'll just run it til it doesn't...

Thanks for all the help guys!

Robert

(Oh, and Mike, don't worry: The engine bay looks NOTHING like that any more! It does get used, and used hard!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmUGO7MoxlM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA97PA3DX4Q )

Lost my allspark last night!!!
Megatron finally found it and took it away in the middle of the night.....lol

My guess is the crappy connection the CPS has for a connection. I have many times plugged and unplugged that dang connector to get my rig started. The connector doesn't make the best of connection.

Megatron finally found it and took it away in the middle of the night.....lol

My guess is the crappy connection the CPS has for a connection. I have many times plugged and unplugged that dang connector to get my rig started. The connector doesn't make the best of connection.

Well the Decepticons have moved from killing the allspark on the 87 to killing the fuel pump on the 89 jeep, while I was fixing the front end damage on the 89, and they took out the steering box seal at the bottom where the pitman arm attaches. So now I have 5 projects in my driveway and a rental car.:party:

Back