• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No one loves VA?

cj7xjmj said:
If you look at my webshots page, there are some pics from the Oak Ridge estates, that is where they held the Virginia 4 wheel drive association annual ride this past yr.
http://community.webshots.com/user/cj7xjmj

Patrick

Hey Pat nice to se you over on the dark side

Yeah Jon,
I figured it is about time that I start really getting ping pong right. Plus this site is a wealth of knowledge.

Patrick

BruteXJ said:
Hell, everyone's invited, even the in-laws!
Feel free to drop me a message for info about VA trails, or to meet up and wheel. There are 3 great ones I'm familiar with, and as mentioned above, the area in the George Washington National Forest off of Rt. 33 towards West Virginia is absolutely infested with trails (they're actually marked as "Jeep Trails" on my map). Most if not all are public land and most of the Rangers I've met are happy to lend a hand....and they also drive XJ's!
what map is this that you have and where can i get one, cause me and a few buddies are planning a spring break trip and we are looking for info thanks alot

scott

The map's the "Virginia Gazeteer" or something like that. They sell 'em at most country stores and some gas stations. It's a big red magazine looking thing with VA broken down into numbered sections on the back cover. I wouldn't wheel VA without one. It not only tells you how to find the trails, but where the heck you are when you get to the other end. I'm also working on making my own detailed maps with trail comments and GPS data. I'll let you know as I get 'em done.

This weekend we were all tied up or frozen solid from work, so no joy, buy it looks like we might get out next weekend. Anyone interested, let me know.

That's it exactly. Great map.
BTW, I'll get off my arse and post some pics soon. Trying to put together a ride for this coming Sat. afternoon or all day Sunday. Everyone's welcome.

Also, for the Mom's & Dad's out there, my five year old son always wheels with me, so the rides are always kid-friendly (plenty of stops to play in the mud or throw snowballs!). Just try to ignore my son when he yells, "Do it again, give it more gas!"

Last edited:
Maybe you already know, but look out in particular for the "Wildlife Management Areas," as at least the ones I've checked out were great, legal, state (public) owned places for wheeling. You just have to watch your seasons so as not to interfere with anyone's hunting.

I don't yet own a XJ, but lining one up. I'm military and have lived in Arlington, working in DC for about 2 years now.

I like the state OK, except when I have to drive the length of it on 95, heh. I got a chance to cruise the high country state roads many years ago when stationed up in Maryland, but on a Fat Boy (was into Harleys, last one was a 98 FLSTF). Also seen lots of nice country white water rafting in the area. It's a pretty state unless you're in a traffic jam.

I moved up here from TX with a WRX, and have grown tired of it.

Hopefully in a month or two I will have basic recovery/skid items installed on a 2001 XJ (should the deal go through this week). And I'll venture out to meet some VA folk and find some cream puff trails.

So yeah, I suppose VA is ok..... :p

Well you have to tell them that you are coming, and make sure you call them in advance... also, i think it has to be a group of like no less then 3 and no more then 30 per group, but thats just a guess, the best thing to do is call them.

Thanks to everyone supporting VA Jeeping!

A friend and I are planning an afternoon trip Friday 2/10 to Devil's Ditch (Wildlife Management Area, Madison County, Va. Turn West off of 29 at the Sheetz in Madison and right at the Wolftown Mercantile and you can't miss it!) this Friday after 3pm. Anyone interested is welcome. It's not a long trail, but the mud pit was reported in good condition three days ago.

Last edited:
BruteXJ said:
Thanks to everyone supporting VA Jeeping!

A friend and I are planning an afternoon trip Friday 2/10 to Devil's Ditch (Wildlife Management Area, Madison County, Va. Turn West off of 29 at the Sheetz in Madison and right at the Wolftown Mercantile and you can't miss it!) this Friday after 3pm. Anyone interested is welcome. It's not a long trail, but the mud pit was reported in good condition three days ago.

Been there done that! Was fun. Are you sure that's open for jeeps? I had heard it was off limits and sections were private property......

-P

jeepcrazed4x4 said:
Well you have to tell them that you are coming, and make sure you call them in advance... also, i think it has to be a group of like no less then 3 and no more then 30 per group, but thats just a guess, the best thing to do is call them.

went ahead and emailed.....figured it wouldn't hurt to try.....some of those pics look sweet though

Dear Nathan,
Thanks for your inquiry. My husband, Chris, and I operate a
by-appointment-only wheeling area in Crozet, VA (home of VROC). We have
a
variety of trails available to suit most levels of wheelers--from blue
(stock to some modifications), to black (at least one locker required),
and,
of course, red (if you have to ask...). You may contact either of us
by
e-mail or telephone in order to set up a wheeling trip. We typically
require
a minimum of five (5) vehicles, and either Chris or myself will guide
the
group(s). The standard land-usage fee is $20/vehicle per day or
$30/vehicle
per two-day weekend. Both of these fees include primitive on-site
camping
(weekend rate includes camping Friday night), and there is no charge
for
passenger(s).

Our contact information is listed below. Please feel free to contact us
via
telephone or e-mail in order to set up a run for your group, giving us
a
listing of your desired run date(s), and we will make arrangements with
you.

anybody want to go? I know I can at least get 2 or 3 guys I think.....

xxxj-va said:
Been there done that! Was fun. Are you sure that's open for jeeps? I had heard it was off limits and sections were private property......

-P
I see folks up there just to wheel all the time. I'll read the sign more carefully tomorrow, but I can't see why it would be open to hunters in 4x4 vehicles and not 4x4 for the sake of 4x4. Some sections are private property, but most if not all are well marked or gated. The rest is public land with no gates or "no vehicles" markings.

BruteXJ said:
Let me know when you plan to go, Nate.
The ride for tomorrow is still on, by the way.

yeah I saw that....I have to work until 6pm that day.....interested in heading up there on saturday if we can get enough people?

anyone else is welcome as well...

Back