• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Headlights in my 88 XJ

Then it is time to get out a volt meter and wiring diagrams. Make sure power is reaching the switches for the head lights too.

We had an issue like this on a 96, just ran new grounds for the headlights behind the bulb, sand down to metal, solder a lead on to the ground lead, and shoot a grabber on the other side and silicone everything up, repeat for other side, problem solved.

If your old harness is not too bad we may be interested in buying it, we rebuild harnesses and are always looking for good connectors, if you are interested send me some photos and a little info on the condition. [email protected]

definitely no power at the headlight socket. just confirmed. Not the switch on the column for high/low beam (dimmer switch) nor is it the headlight switch in the dash. I think I have checked all the connections under the hood. Still looking...

If you have no power on high or low at the socket and you are getting power to the switch and dimmer, then it must be in the harness. When you say no power, what is the voltage reading, you could have high resistance in the wires and a somewhat long term Band-Aid would be a head light harness upgrade, but I would start by inspecting the harness and connections, turn the lights on ad wiggle the harness at different points, have someone ready to turn the switch off in case you have shorted wires. Also look for signs of rodents they love to eat the insulation thanks to our federal government; it is bio-degradable so from day one it is degrading. If you want more info on a relay harness PM me.

I am using a test light, not a meter so I can't tell you the actual voltage. No signs of rodents. Must be a bad ground or connection. I just have to keep tracking it down.

I would jump 12V to the front clip connector. Easiest way to test the grounds and the entire harness in the front clip.

If they work from there you know it's between the headlamp switch and the connector for the front clip.

First of all never use a test light on a computer controlled vehicle, you will damage the computer. Get a volt meter, logic probe or power probe. If you are not getting voltage then it is not a ground problem. What you know now is that you don’t have enough voltage at your test light to light up the test light bulb. What you don’t know is if you are getting very low voltage and you need to know that.

Thanks to all the advice and suggestions. I decided to replace the plug that goes onto the headlight switch as the one I had just looked beat up. After replacing that, as well as replacing the dimmer switch on the steering column, I now have all my lights working! Thanks again.

I would jump 12V to the front clip connector. Easiest way to test the grounds and the entire harness in the front clip.

If they work from there you know it's between the headlamp switch and the connector for the front clip.

Great suggestion!!!

Thanks to all the advice and suggestions. I decided to replace the plug that goes onto the headlight switch as the one I had just looked beat up. After replacing that, as well as replacing the dimmer switch on the steering column, I now have all my lights working! Thanks again.

:clap:

Back