• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No headlights, help!

bjanzen

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone, I've been having weird problems with dash wiring lately, and have perused many many threads. I have a 1991 Limited 4.0. My problems seem to be sporadic. I have no headlights or highbeams. I have running lights and turn signals. My gauges light went out, then came back, then out again. Same with my middle dome lights; they won't turn off, then the buttons worked to turn them off and on, now they stay on. The door lights stay on even though the doors are closed. Radio used to work, now doesn't. I've been at the wiring for a few days with some things working then not. I read a few things about a common culprit being the headlight switch, and took mine apart today, only to find it rusty and gross. I have ordered another coming first thing tomorrow. Does anyone have any experience with issues like these? I got the headlights to work yesterday if I wiggled the switch, and it would make a weird buzzing for a few seconds coming from under the dash, relay? Also the hi-beam lever would make a buzzing from the same spot, but now none work. Fog lights worked yesterday when i wiggled the switch but now don't. I'm thinking everything has a common ground with the headlight switch? Or maybe now the relay is broken? Wow I've made it this far without mentioning fuses.. I constantly check them and it seems like I have to check everything twice. As of now none are blown, and I believe they were a problem yesterday as I blew a few, I'm really leaning toward it being a relay? Or headlight switch?

Hopefully no one gets scared away from this huge paragraph! Hopefully enough info for someone to save my ass :) any help/info is very appreciated, losing my naxja posting virginity!

Manual transmission? Or AW4? Where is the fuse box on yours?

Do the headlight switch first. It should fix some or all problems. May also need to fix the wiring at the headlight switch, and at the ignition switch and replace the ignition switch. Hi-beam switch may be gone by now too.

I'd be looking at your grounds as well

Back