• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No headlights, dash indicators acting weird?

Red91Laredo

NAXJA Forum User
Went to leave work this evening and found my '91 XJ had no headlights- neither low beams nor high beams nor the fog lights or the flash to pass feature were working. My dash lights came on as normal, except that the high beam indicator on the dash as well as both turn signal indicators were steadily lit as long as the headlight switch was on, even with the multifunction switch in the low beam position and no turn signals activated.

I pulled over and checked fuses, all were fine. So I popped the hood to check the underhood fuses, but decided to wiggle the wiring near the core support first (the main connector that connects the chassis harness to the header panel, and the relay located near it) bingo- the headlights came right back on, both high and low beams working normally, fog lights too. What's odd is that neither connection seemed loose at all, and no amount of wiggling them would make the headlights cut off again.

Now I've noticed another problem- all the running lights are working except for the driver's side front marker and turn signal. When I signal left they blink, so they're getting power, but they flash slowly in unison rather than alternating at a normal speed. The turn signal indicator on the dash stays lit if the running lights or headlights are on and I'm not signaling a turn.

Any ideas what's going on here? Loose wires, pinched wire, moisture in the connections somewhere? I did drive to work in heavy rain before parking in a garage for 5 hours. In two days I'll be off work and I can check all the sockets and connections around the header panel manually and clean them all really well, but I wondered if anyone has had the same thing happen before and might know what's going on. Since the hi-beam & turn indicators were lit up when the lights themselves were not, I assume that's supposed to be telling me something?

BTW the headlights are still running off the stock harness, running H4 housings with basic 55w bulbs, OEM fog lights; I've been planning to upgrade the headlight harness forever, going to get right on that now...

There’s a critical 10-pin connector for the front lighting system located in front of the air cleaner and behind the left headlight assembly. Unplug it and clean both sides with a good electronics cleaner.

The ground for the front lights is located on the driver's side inner fender under a sheet metal screw. Remove it, scrape paint off and reattach.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll do those things. I always upgrade the main electrical grounds when I get a new-to-me vehicle, but it didn't occur to me the headlights have their own ground.

Back