• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No check engine light?

Cornfed-87XJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I just bought a 1987 Jeep Cherokee from my sister and her husband. It is due for its smog check, and while I was tuning it up I realized that the check engine light did not come on when you turn the ignition switch to the on position. I asked my brother-in-law if he had any problems and he made a comment about taking it to a friend who "helped" him with the smog test. I took the dash apart to check if the bulb was bad, and I found no bulb in the socket where the plastic overlay shows the check engine light should be. I had a couple of extra bulbs and when I placed a bulb into the socket it still didi not work. I looked through my Chilton manual, but no success. I looked in the original owners manual and found no mention of a check engine light, not even in the index. The diagram that shows the other lights show all of the bulbs that were present when I took the dash apart. I thought that all vehicles with EFI had check engine lights. The Jeep runs great, but I am worried that it won't pass the visual inspection without the check engine light. Is it possible that my Jeep never had a check engine light?

it doesn't exist with renix rigs, and don't let the smog nazis tell you any different. 87-90 was NOT OBD.

Back