• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NJ inspection and lift laws

What happens if you fail the tilt test I just did a 6.5" with 33's with no sway bars

Honestly, by my dead guess that would fail on height alone ( see my previous post about max. door height measurements). If you fail the tilt test, you fail, period. You get the same fail sticker they give to anyone else, and have 30 days to correct it. And, if you have to go to tilt test, they will look at flares, mudflaps, everything. I failed the first time out, and had to remove my (heavy) front and rear bumpers, fullsize spare, and even stripped out the back seat. Once I did that, the truck obviously popped up higher, so I had to remove a lift block and ACOS to get back down to where my door height would be passable. I also had to remove my hand throttle on the spot ( you arent allowed one unless you have a doctor's note, welcome back to school). I have a rear coil conversion and it was ok on the tilt after that, but I also run a very thick Addco front swaybar with disconnects on the street. Lots of guys on here will talk about their rigs running just fine on the street without one, but in my opinion they are full of s**t, especially if they are still running leafs in the back. The rear leaf/front coil configuration sets the chassis up for neutral or oversteer in fast transitions, and is a recipe for disaster if they plan on running the truck year round, rain or snow.
Rich
P.S. Before you start hearing from other "experts' on here about anything I've said so far, ask them if they ever passed the state tilt test. Everybody's an expert on the internet.

I went through the whole thing years ago...it's a fair test IMO but it doesn't allow for anything else you've done to the vehicle to help bump it to different levels.

The way the tilt works is you drive up on this off camber thing:

HighRiseAPsm.jpg

(that one is the Asbury Park station, which is the one I'd recommend of the 3 if you can make the trek, *yes* a lot of things are left to the inspectors' discretion and unless things have changed since 2005 they're known the be the most lenient. this was also not always the case prior to 2005.)

Basically what they're measuring is the percentage of vehicle weight transfer to the downhill side...which is a measurement of how much your vehicle "tips". They weigh it level beforehand and then have you pull up on the ramp.

Another thing they'll ask you to do is to cut the wheel in a direction and then let go while driving forward, to make sure the wheels will still self-straighten - this is a way of checking that your caster angle isn't screwed up from the lift.

They'll also have you cut the wheel back & forth while watching the whole front end...I actually failed this the first time around due to a worn TRE that I wasn't aware of. Passed everything else (including the Home Depot garden-edge wheelwell flares and cutup-conveyor-belt mudflaps) and the guy who was in charge of inspections at the time (Dan Foley) had me come up to Asbury for the reinspection so he could train some new guys on my truck.

30" is actually a pretty generous door height considering what you can stuff under an XJ and still keep within that...most things on 33's and 35's shouldn't have a problem.

They put a sticker on your windshield that they write all your measurements on - including tire size - so if you put roller tires on it or load it up to squeak through and then change it after the fact, and get pulled over, if the cop measures stuff and it doesn't match you can get nailed for a reinspection.

That being said...*most* cops don't know or care and I went from this:

5370782593_250fb9ab0d_b.jpg

(yes I had flares & flaps on for inspection)

to this:

82_505476698729_1223_n.jpg

without getting hassled much or changing the sticker. But I could have.

Worth noting that in the second picture I'm still at 30" door height on 39.5s, just for reference, but would fail for many reasons if I actually tried to take it through again. :laugh:

Also worth noting that that second picture just made me kinda sad. :(

For all those reading this thread for info, Chris is 100% correct. I ended up at asbury park the last time because the ancora stations scale never seems to be working. Take his advice coupled with mine here, and forget everything else you hear.

Rolled through inspection station this morning. Passed emmisions and they never even questioned anything else. They did seem a bit pissed since mine is a 95 and they had to get out and do the tailpipe test.

I didn't think roadside inspection spots would even look at non-commerical vehicles. They are usually state police. Been by a bunch of those and never stopped. Have not been through those local police inspection sticker checkpoints, I think that could be a problem as they're just looking for tickets to write and generate revenue for their town.

Rolled through inspection station this morning. Passed emmisions and they never even questioned anything else. They did seem a bit pissed since mine is a 95 and they had to get out and do the tailpipe test.

I didn't think roadside inspection spots would even look at non-commerical vehicles. They are usually state police. Been by a bunch of those and never stopped. Have not been through those local police inspection sticker checkpoints, I think that could be a problem as they're just looking for tickets to write and generate revenue for their town.

You're lucky they dont run the roadside stops in your area, it seems. I've seen the commercial truck stops in my area many times, but there are others that focus solely on passenger vehicles, looking for lifted/lowered vehicles and bad inpection stickers, among other things.
Rich

I am with Rich and Chris. I have also gone through the tilt test in the past and passed at Asbury as well as Morristown. It definitely was stressful dealing with it though. When I move back to jersey, I am just not registering the jeep anymore most likely.

Back