• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NJ inspection and lift laws

altrocker1

NAXJA Forum User
well my current registration is coming to an end for iowa so its time to transfer to nj...currently my rig is about 4" lifted, i have no flares and a CEL :) so awesome...i know my cel is fuel/exhaust related and i should have that all set after this week, but what do the inspections all entail here. i got a full set of brand new brake parts for an 8.25 with the xj i just bought, so those will be going on just because i like stopping...and i do have a stock set of flares that i can throw on, but most of the info i'm finding sucks and is out dated. any advice would be much appreciated...

also what is the grace period from registration to inspection completion? just curious if i can get plates and then spend a week or two getting it up to code. at 4.5" do i come in under the special lift inspection rules? i miss iowa...give us your money and you get a registration sticker!

I just went feb of this year, lift 4.5-5.5, 35" tires, no fenders, cut fenders, was not a problem, they test emissions only now. I also believe I have a few exhaust leaks. it pasted no problem. I am not sure what is needed for all the emissions though

usually emissions is just hooking up to the computer...i really know the source of my CEL so i should be able to fix it. i hope after fixing the exhaust and putting new injectors in that all will be well...we shall see

States can not enforce out of state inspections, buddy of mine has been in Cali since 03 with his accord still rocking mass plates, inspection ran out in 02

I will never have a good enough reason to drive through jersey again

alright...got registered today so i have 14 days to cure my cel. pretty sure its because my rear o2 sensor is dead, but i have a spare and a different cat converter that are getting swapped in. if that fixes it when i put it in on monday, i'm high tailing it to the nearest inspection station and hoping that it does the trick...

I went through last year. They check emissions and OBD II only. I am on 4.5" lift with bushwackers, they didn't bother to measure anything (height to headlights, door, bumper). The tech did say that passing inspection does not make you exempt from the tilt test. I know there are only a few places that do the tilt test. Got my sticker and was on my way

Has anyone gotten a ticket for no flares or no tilt test sticker?

the website says as of 2010 the inspection centers do emissions only testing....im going to fix my exhaust on sunday and get my emissions sticker on monday. i hope!

I don't know of anyone getting tickets for those, and I've been running flareless for some time now with no problems, but you are still at the mercy of the individual cop that's behind you at the time. The flare laws, among many others are still on the books. As to inspections, the emissions only can still trip you up if you have a CEL on...they plug into your OBD port..any emission related code read is an automatic fail.

Spoke with local mechanic since mine needs emmisons sticker and didn't want to chance running through state inspection station. Mine is a 95 so they must use a gas analyzer. He told me as of August 2012 state of new jesery only checks emmisons and has no safety inspection requirements. He told me you can go to state inspection station with all your windows broken out and as long as it passes emmisions, they'll give you a sticker. Enforcement of all nj safety regulations are now a police matter so its really depends on how picky your local PD is with vehicle regulations.
He said that hi-lift regulations are still in effect yet if the cops don't pull you over why worry.

I might swing through the inspection station tomorrow since my sticker is out of date. If I do, I'll post how it goes since I am technically required to have high lift registration.

95XJ is correct from my experience. I went thru HiLift inspection before the rule change with my '98. I am very curious as to how today goes for you, (whether or not anyone bothers to measure you now to push you over to the hilift inspection)..My 98 will be back on the road at some point, and I'm curious as to how much attention they are paying.
Rich

Yeah nj only checks emissions. I went through with an exhaust leak cracked windshield and no bumper and passed. My buddy has gotten a ticket for not having flares and along with other things while out wheeling. If the rangers feel like being di@ks they will give you tickets. We were out on night he got failure to make repairs $150 ticket. But other then them most regular police won't bother you

Oh yeah and they apparently combine the lift of your suspension with the lift you get from bigger tires so if you have a 2" lift with 2" bigger tires they consider that to be 4" of lift. That blew my mind when the ranger told us that

LOL too funny so if i go from 29" tire to 33" i grew 4" oh i wish it was that easy.

Also, it's the roadside inspections (they sometimes send out trucks and set up roadblocks) that you need to be wary of. They WILL send you to the tilt test, and it aint fun. Cherokees are allowed a max of 37" tire, BUT only 7" of "total lift", which, as previously noted, includes the added height from bigger tires. They go by a chart, and Cherokees are allowed 30" measured to the bottom of the drivers door (when open) to flat ground. If it is a Sport, it's only 29". Sports are 1" lower from the factory apparently. So take your Sport badges off. ( I am not kidding, feel free to check)
Rich

Back