• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newest Rock krawler long arm mounts + plated frame rail?

jdbwrx

NAXJA Forum User
Been searching through and cannot find a definitive answer that includes some visuals.

I plated my frame rails with 3/16" angle and am wondering how the newest Rock Krawler (frame side) long arm mounts will mix with them. It seems the new mounts are u shaped rather than just a flat plate that welds to the bottom. I called Rock krawler last week and they were going to send me the instructions so I could look over things (I never got the e-mail). The guy that answered the phone didn't have any thoughts on it.

Sooo, I was wondering if anyone who has the newer mounts had any thoughts on this or preferably someone in the same situation who has some pics of their set up would be appreciated.

This guys thread was pretty helpful in visualizing it, but no plating and no pics of the inside of the frame rail. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=243794051&postcount=24

I am also wondering if the supports I welded on for my sliders are going to get in the way. Here's what my set up in that area looks like:

P1020927.jpg

P1020928.jpg

Any thoughts?

You are apparently capable of cutting and welding steel, i would not view the mount design as a deterrent as to whether or not you decide to go with the kit. I would tend to think you could cut/weld the mount and make it work just as well, if not better than the original Rockkrawler design.

My .02

I have the kit and it looks like your sliders will interfere but like ^Tim said I think you are capable of handling it. I would also think your capabilities, as shown above, will allow you to make the kit work with your plated frame.

i have the kit and it has like a 1/4 to 1/2 of play side to side if i remember correctly. so it will clear your stiffener and you will just need to run a notch to clear your sliders. my .02 says weld them on dont bolt it like they say to.

You are apparently capable of cutting and welding steel, i would not view the mount design as a deterrent as to whether or not you decide to go with the kit. I would tend to think you could cut/weld the mount and make it work just as well, if not better than the original Rockkrawler design.

My .02

Ha ha, thanks. That's what I was thinking, I just wanted to get a good idea of what I was getting myself into prior to having the parts in my hands. I just like to be able to visualize things and get a rough game plan.

I can always just move the slider supports if I really have to.

I was planning on the bolt/weld combo to make it extra solid.

Thanks for the info on the "slop," that's reassuring.

just buy the rk setup, (who did you talk to from RK? If it is who i am thinking about he doesnt know anything :) ) anyways get the mounts where they need to be as far as lined up with the transfer case cross member bolts and cut the whole outter support off the RK bracket, from this point weld them on solid and dont look back, they say you need the bolt but thats only because welding to the sheet metal unibody can be iffy for high stress points like the brackets, but your welding to 3/16 so your a ok, just clean it up nice so you can get some good welds.

yep i was just in the RK shop today and that will work weld them to the plate steel.
like up the bracket with the holes in the xmember bolts bolt it on with them so its lined up and put down some nice welds and it wont be a problem.

I talked to him and the T and T frame stiffners are what i am using, just weld it to them.

order them soon, because most offroad products will increase in price after the new year!

just buy the rk setup, (who did you talk to from RK? If it is who i am thinking about he doesnt know anything :) ) anyways get the mounts where they need to be as far as lined up with the transfer case cross member bolts and cut the whole outter support off the RK bracket, from this point weld them on solid and dont look back, they say you need the bolt but thats only because welding to the sheet metal unibody can be iffy for high stress points like the brackets, but your welding to 3/16 so your a ok, just clean it up nice so you can get some good welds.

I don't know who it was, I didn't ask for a name, but he did use a lot of "bro" and "bra" language. :)

That makes sense, thanks much. Cut off the outer, that makes sense. I could even bolt through that them so it's sandwiching the bracket on the inside and the 3/16 on the outside.

Doesn't look like my set up will be a show stopper, and not a huge headache either, which is the reassurance I was looking for!

Back