• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Yukon Zip Locker

Safety wire? Sounds like a bandaid to me. Not an engineer, but if something was flexing enough to spit the bolts out, wouldn't it be wise to make it stop flexing instead of just trying to keep the bolts snug? If the carrier's moving that much, what's it doing to the gear pattern?

No, saftey wire is not a bandaid. In school we have a competition put on by SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers), its call MiniBaja. We design then race a small offroad buggy, and in the rules created by the SAE, every bolt needs to either use a nylock or be saftey wired.

Safety wire is perfectly fine, it removes the posiblity of bolts being able to back out, and basically tethering them together, so they aren't allowed to spin.

Sure if you want to truss the D30. Thats the only thing that will keep the housing from flexing. Safety wire is not a bandaid. Every aircraft in the sky uses safety wire.

Very true, back when i was in the Airforce every little fastener, bolt and a few of the crew(lol) were wired. Check out some high perf engines and you'll find a whack of safety wire; everything stays torqued that way.

I also agree that the prices have to drop to entice the fence sitters into buying a Zip (wow, alot of thought went into naming that locker! lol), or Spartan for that matter. Too many tried and true out there. I'm currently looking for a selectable for the dirty 30 and if the Zip was $500, let's just say my decision would be easier. -B

No, saftey wire is not a bandaid. In school we have a competition put on by SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers), its call MiniBaja. We design then race a small offroad buggy, and in the rules created by the SAE, every bolt needs to either use a nylock or be saftey wired.

I was on the team in 2007 for University of Maryland. Safety wire sure is tedious, but necessary.

The housing flexing is the issue, not the locker. Yukon has no control over the housing flex issue. With the housing flexing, it causes the bolts to work themselves loose. With the safety wire, the way they are wired, it actually causes the bolts to tighten, not loosen.

Keep in mind, all the bolts they use are 8MM grade 12.9 bolts that are torqued to 90% yield. They also have lock washers and red loctite on them.

Check out the thread on Pirate4x4. I've contributed a lot of information there, even pictures. I woudl do it here, but I'm not an authorized vendor and don't want to piss in anyone's Cherokee'Os.

Last edited:
glad im running an ARB!

Wow, just wow... Not sure whether I'm more surprised by the failure of the Zip, or the fact that the ARB was more or less unscathed. I'm sure there's a lot of real world factors that a bench test can't take into consideration, but dayum that was brutal! :explosion

Can't wait to get my ARB's off the garage floor and into my diffs...

Oh, and LOL at the Chinese comment. :laugh2:

Oh, and LOL at the Chinese comment. :laugh2:

that was pretty damn funny. i too am glad to be running an ARB

lock washers, locktite and safety wire....

cool video but I just don't trust when companies tests say theirs is better, not saying they rigged it, just don't trust them......and is sounds like the aussie is saying Arab lockers

It seems like a fair test. Im sure both lockers would do just fine on the trail (even the chinese one). This test just shows brute strength. I guess ARB could be using some stronger shafts on the Yukon test.

But all in all, I think that Yukon should be selling closer to $500. Might consider one in the front 60 as now Im just running a lock-right.

(even the chinese one). .
One of the main reasons Chinese made parts fail is the steel available to the chinese is of poor quality compared to US steel. Also they don't do as much machining to their parts because it costs more then they want to put into it. The pics that were posted of the chinese made lockers clearly show the inferiority of the product.

Im sure both lockers would do just fine on the trail (even the chinese one). This test just shows brute strength.
And when you are out on the trail, the diff is not seeing that brute strength? That is one of the reasons why a strong product is needed, because people go out and beat on their vehicles, and put extreme stress on the drive trains that most normal vehicles won't see in their lifetime. They need products that will withstand that brute force being applied, because it is the difference between having a good day doing some great trails, or spending the entire day trying to get your vehicle back home.

No, saftey wire is not a bandaid. In school we have a competition put on by SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers), its call MiniBaja. We design then race a small offroad buggy,.....
I was on the team in 2007 for University of Maryland. Safety wire sure is tedious, but necessary.
Holy cow! SAE still doing that? I was on the Ohio University team in 1990!

ok maybe not the chinese one :). but what Im saying is that the ARB test is more then a little extreme. I dont think the shaft would ever be twisted 80*.

ok maybe not the chinese one :). but what Im saying is that the ARB test is more then a little extreme. I dont think the shaft would ever be twisted 80*.

so how far DO you think axle shafts twist before they break?

I've never ran an ARB or a Zip, but I'd like to have one or the other. I've loosely followed this thread here and on Pirate. The Chinese locker in the video doesn't appear to be the zip locker. From the install thread I've seen the side gears and pinion gears look to be machined, not so in the video. Randy's response in the Pirate thread sheds a little light on where they're coming from with this thing. Those of you wondering about price should PM a vendor, it will give you something to think about, it did me at least.

the test is not a true test they need to use the old setup arb that looks just like the zip.safty wire is a good ideal my arb keeps losing the bolts every time i go out .bolts fallout bolt heads popoff and arb tells me more preload .

Back