• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Wheel Bearings in XJ D44......Problems?

waxer

JEEP APPRENTICE
Staff member
NAXJA Member
I just swapped in some new Timken SET10 wheel bearings into my XJ D44 rear. When I tighten down the backing plate the axleshaft no longer turns easily.

The wheel bearing slides into the axleshaft fine, the seal is sticking out 1/4 of the way and the backing plate and retainer press onto that when tightened. It seems to make things tighter where the axleshaft no longer spins freely. It has a snug feel to it.

Is this normal? I already verified that I had the right axleshaft on the correct side. (Drivers side is shorter than pass side)

Not sure I understand. The correct order is the backing plate and seal goes on first, then the bearing and last is the retaining ring is pressed on.
You got a picture of yours?

Thats exactly how I have it. I have things installed correctly. I'm just noticing that the axleshaft doesn't spin freely when things are all tightened down (4 bolts at the end of the axletubes)

Just wondering if this is normal.

The seal should not stick out.

Dana44.jpg

Timken Seal and Bearing Set used.
IMG_0099.sized.jpg

Everything installed and tightened down, axleshaft is hard to turn
IMG_0100.sized.jpg

Another Pic (notice the little bulge of the retainer plate at the top middle from the seal not fully going in)
IMG_0101.sized.jpg

View of seal sticking out of housing after the backing plate bolts are removed, but the axleshaft was not pulled out.
IMG_0102.sized.jpg

Order that everything was pressed onto the axleshaft. (Note seal has bulge in it where the black ring is, this was not here prior to torquing down the 4 backing plate bolts)
IMG_0103.sized.jpg

A view inside the housing, bearing surface clean, no nicks, etc..
IMG_0104.sized.jpg

Another view of axleshaft with everything installed.
IMG_0105.sized.jpg

As stated above, before the 4 backing plate bolts are torqued down, the axleshaft spins freely with very little resistance. AFTER I torque the 4 bolts down, it is HARD to turn. A noticeable amount of resistance.

With only 1 axleshaft installed, the resistance did go away somewhat after turning the yoke about 15 revolutions. I'm wondering if things just need to wear in or settle.

Anyone experience this?

That is not the seal surface that the old seal was riding on. I got a little overzealous with the grinder and cleaned up too much. the seal is riding on the same point where the old one was.

Even if the seal was to go where you pointed it at, when you tighten down the backing plate and retainer plate, it would push the seal up agains the bearing before it would put any pressure on the axleshaft to hold it in place.

langer1 said:
The brake plate don't go there either, it just goes on the housing studs and the bearing goes through it up to the outside snapring.

I know you are trying to help, and I don't want to come off as unappreciative, but you lost me on that one bro. :)

There is no other way for the brake backing plate to go on. It goes up against the axle housing, held on by the studs. It will stay there if I pull the axleshaft all the way out.

It is held up and tightened by the axleshaft being inserted and the retaining plate clamping it against the axle housing.

IMG_0108.sized.jpg

Last edited:
I pressed the bearing and retaining collar down as far as they went. They are fully seated and went on with no problem.

The seal is up against the bearing with the lip facing the axle housing (like it should be)

I'm lost as to why there is so much resistance on the axleshaft spinning once things are tightened down.

Think its just a lack of extra grease? The bearing came pre-packed with that green grease all over everything.

Or maybe bearing and seal are making enough contact with eachother, with not enough grease between the two, as the bearing rotates and the seal is stationary.

That sound about right?

Just trying to analyze what might be going on here.

The outer race goes in the hole first, then the brake plate goes over the outer race and the snapring, next the axle, inter bearings and retainer/w seal. The pictures seem to show the Outer race and snapring on the outside of the brake plate.

Ok let me state this. The bearing is slightly different than the one that was taken out.

The old one had a race that was inside the axle housing and the bearing was cone shaped (2 seperate pieces).

The new one had everything as one piece. Outer race and bearing as one unit. I've seen pictures on other writeups of upgraded axle shaft installs with the same bearing that I have now (one with the built in outer race)

I took some measurements.

The bearing/seal surface area inside the axle housing from the inner lip to the outer edge = 15/16"

The bearing/seal combo which should fit inside that area = 1 1/8"

Thats why the seal is sticking out 1/4" and being smashed against the bearing and retaining plate.

Now I'm wondering if I have the correct seal and bearing.

This what was called for...
IMG_0099.sized.jpg

Here is what Autozone called for...

Autozone_seal.jpg

Anyone know if this is incorrect?

Ok after looking further, it appears that I have installed the seal backwards.

The seal has a cavity (open end) on one side, and a flat edge on the other with the seal lip sticking out quite a bit. Well I put the flat edge pointing toward the axle housing, so the seal ring will not compress and go inside the housing this way.

It needs to be flipped with the open cavity facing toward the axle housing so that once pressure is applied, it will compress and go INTO the axle housing, not to mention that lip that sticks out about 3/16" doesn't help either.

Now it appears that I made a $75 mistake as I need to buy new bearings and seals now.

Oh how I love working on my jeep sometimes :)

But, I got to look at the bright side. It is better that I caught it with $75 of damage as opposed to not checking the axleshafts and driving like this, causing bearing failure, axleshaft failure, and damage to the housing. That would have been more costly.

Back