• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Wagoneer in sight...some questions.

I'll add my $.02 in...

GORGEOUS!

Wow... I'd be all over that thing like... Umm... I don't know. I'm not a fan of the beige interiors, but everything else on her is so beautiful and clean...

Waow.

And also, I agree that it's a D44 rear axle. The Dana 44 has the slightly coffin-shaped differential housing, (or another way to think of it is an apple, sliced in half, laying on it's side.) The D35 and C8.25 have an oval-shaped cover with a nearly symmetrical housing. (The 8.25 has a flat lip on the bottom. Also, the 8.25 wasn't available until many years later, I think.)

Soooo pretty...

*drool*

:D

Thats the cleanest damn Waggy I've seen since.............. well, 1988.

And I don't care what everyone thinks but I love those wheels.

As has been said by everyone else, that thing is unbeliveably beautiful!!!
I had a 91 Briarwood and it never looked that nice, not even after i had it painted!!
Deffinately keep her out of the sun
Looks like you are gettin a great deal, Enjoy!!

Thanks for your comments!

At the end I purchased her last week.
I´ve been drinving her nad run and shift great......so smooth.
I enclose you some other pics:

Steering bars protection
Imagen002-1.jpg

T´case protection
Imagen003-1.jpg

Catalytic converter?
Imagen004.jpg

AMC keys
Imagen005.jpg

The owner´s manual
Imagen008-1.jpg

The proud owner, me (sorry, too ugly for the waggy)
gegrgg.jpg

Front
ththg.jpg

Rear
svsv.jpg

general view late in the afternoon
ftghh.jpg

Artistic shot? Teide vulcan in the background
yyjjj.jpg

Interior
fgfrggg.jpg

That´s all for now

I need the original seat belts!!!!!!! pleaseeeeeeeee

Kind regards from small Tenerife Island

Fair warning; It will likely need every engine seal replaced with that kind of mileage on a jeep that old.

and here is what the stock tail lights look like for reference:
100_0712.jpg

Thats what the stock American tail lights look like.

And why would you say he needs to replace all the seals with only 60,000 miles on it?

Steering bars protection
Imagen002-1.jpg
Unfortunately you didn't get the front D44 that has been rumored to be in South American XJ's. This is a D30. Its not bad, it just would have been an extra rare treat to have the D44 front.

Catalytic converter?
Imagen004.jpg

Yes, thats a Cat on the right, then a muffler on the left.

Artistic shot? Teide vulcan in the background
yyjjj.jpg

Kind regards from small Tenerife Island
Wow, that really shows the condition of the vehicle. Congratulations on such a nice Jeep.

Thanks a lot Rodrigo for sharing those pictures. That truely is a beautiful Jeep you have, I hope you enjoy it and keep it nice.

Last edited:
I just looked at a few more pics. Are you positive that is a 88

I was under the impression that AMC only made the Cherokee till 1987. That would also fit in with it having a Dana 44 rear end. There is no way to get a build sheet from that year but if you do a car fax vehicle history report I am betting you will find that it is an 87.

Great Find

Thanks Begster for the info.....I was not sure about the cat converter. The ones on my old XJs were veeeeery different and renix XJs are new for me.

And about to keep it nice.............Would be nice enough this one????
aforo3.jpg

For me, this is the prettiest XJ I ever seen..........I saw it in a french Cherokee forum.
I would like to do the same with mine but sometimes I think would be better to keep her in original condition.

While that is another beautiful Waggy, PLEASE don't put Bushwackers on yours. You would have to cut up that beautiful Jeep of yours.

For me, this is the prettiest XJ I ever seen..........I saw it in a french Cherokee forum.
I would like to do the same with mine but sometimes I think would be better to keep her in original condition.

I agree, I personally would love to see it kept in its original condition. A Wagoneer in that condition is extremely rare, I would bet there are only a handful of Jeeps in the world that are from that year, in that condition that are all original.

It is your Jeep, so I really have no say over what you do with it. But I would think keeping it in its original condition would be the best choice.

Oh, and if you ever get bored of it, or feel the need to sell it at some point in time, no matter how many years down the road, let me know. I'll come over to Spain and buy it off you. :)

Hey Rob..........I must say that I have on my computer a lot of pics of your Waggy during the restoration tha I captured from internet, and some pics of another in dark colour, maybe of a friend of you. I did it before I had the possiblity of purchase my Waggy. I have always loved this model.

About the year....I have consulted the VIN in the following decoder:

http://jeep.avtograd.ru/VIN/vin_en.asp

With this results..........the final serial number is not the real one.
As youcan note she was manufactured in 1988, first licensed in february 89 and then brought yo Spain ans re-licenses in summer of 1990.

Thanks for the info too

Position
Symbol
Name
Value
n/a
Y
Manufacturer:
n/a
C
Type:
MPV
6-7
Model:
CHEROKEE (XJ) - 4WD, 4-door
T
Transmission/transfercase:
Automatic Transmission, Full Time Transfer Case
M
Engine
4,0 litres, I-6, EFI
X
Control digit:
Has not passed check, the symbol on 9-th position should be 0
J
Year:
V
Plant:
n/a
12-17
Serial number

I've really enjoyed seeing your new rig. Mine was that nice not all that many years ago but things change. Hopefully it will give you as many fond memories as mine has.

wheel2.jpg

I own two waggies the tan one and the black one.

I was only questioning the year since you had AMC keys. I guess it would be safe to assume that the lock could have been changed to a 84-87 model XJ. AMC built the XJ till 87 then chrysler took over in 88.

I am glad you enjoyed the pics of mine. I wish i had started with one as nice as yours but even with that said I still wouldn't trade the tan one for anything lol too much blood sweat and tears on getting it up and running.

Wow!!!

Yours had to be exactly to mine in origin!!!!

IMpressive!

Mine is a 1990 and I noticed a few differences...mine has power seats, a silver color to the front grille, solid red taillights, a little lighter color woodgrain above the door pockets on the interior door panels, yours doesn't have ABS (not available until '89, count yourself very lucky you don't have it), power antenna, factory fog lights and rear window defroster switches on left lower dash panel, a couple of interesting differences.

Mine was almost as clean when I acquired it in 9/2000 with 143,000 miles on it. It's just past 275,000 miles and is still going strong.

I celebrate that you didnt wait to restore your waggy for postingthe pics......for me has been a good way to know my Wagonner from "inside".....(great work with the rhinolined).

I think my Waggy was produced just when Jeep changed from AMC to Chrysler because she has a mix of AMC and Chrysler logos. The keys and the owners manual (and some othre parts) are American Motors marked and another as the radio and rear window sticker are Chrysler.

Hey...can I add you to my messenger contacts?

Regards

John......yes you´re right.

I have noted that mine is the only Waggy I have seen with no power seats or rear window defroster....Instead she have seats 100% leather and no the combination of leather-door like cloth. Who knows wath they did in Venezuela!!
About the fog ligts Í will look for a pair of them and aboy the grille...I think it was back repainted.

Also....can I add you to my messenger contacts??

TIA

Amazing Wagoneer you have!

Had to do a little scrounging but I found a picture of Big Woody when he was still fairly stock. I think your new one is in a little better shape than mine was.

WoodyLift.JPG

Back