• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to xj life, need some input

caleb4130

NAXJA Forum User
Hey gang, My name is Caleb. I'm new to the XJ life, but not new to off roading. A little background, I grew up and still live in Yucca Valley, ca. Have been into building and driving prerunner for around 13 years. I recently got a 1990 2dr xj 4wd. It has a rough country 4.5 short arm kit. Has the rough country shocks and add a leaf with adjustable shackles. It crawls decent enough, but it kinda sucks at speed. My goal is to have a kind of dual sport build, still be able to crawl and trail drive but also open it up a bit in open desert. I'm on a bit of a budget and can afford to do a full blown build at the moment. Any advice or suggestions?

Short arms will beat you to death at speed. Long arms are the best way to go.

That was what I fugured. I was looking at the BDS long arm conversion with the cross member and arms. I like it because it is 4 link style.

A drop bracket can work on a budget, but the long arm rides so much smoother.

Good point. What about the rear? It rides so darn harsh over everything. Thought about saving for a pair of Deaver springs, but not sure how they will do as far as flex when wheeling.

The Dever's seem to work pretty well for standard wheeling. Actually any spring pack that uses multiple thin leaves has a better ride (more progressive spring rate) then a similar rated leaf pack with fewer thicker leaves. That's why the add-a-leaf packs always suck.

For the front, you might want to check out these guys: Rough Country suspensionThey make a really nice progressive wound spring that they will sell separately. (you'll have to call and ask)I've got a set on a Wrangler.
They also have a long arm upgrade, but it's a "Y" link design.

Biggest problem with the "dual-sport" thing is the shocks. 'Get stiff enough valving to handle the desert, and the ride is kind of harsh on road.

Also, a kind of unique problem for the XJ: As it is unit-body/no frame, if you're really going to thrash it in the desert, you'll want to plate the frame rails and reinforce the suspension/shock mounting points before the body starts cracking.

Also, a kind of unique problem for the XJ: As it is unit-body/no frame, if you're really going to thrash it in the desert, you'll want to plate the frame rails and reinforce the suspension/shock mounting points before the body starts cracking.

Very true, and now there are several companies that make unibody stiffeners for a decent price. It's definetly a wise decision to start there with any XJ build.

If your looking into long arms and Progressive springs. Check out Synergy Manufacturing they sell both and make incredible products. Everything can be sold separately so you can piece together your kit as well. I would highly recommend running the Progressive coils and FOX IFP shocks. I have them on my rig currently with short arms at 3" of raise and it takes everything i throw at it at speed.

Back