• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to the cherokee world, pictures.

GreenGoblin said:
Nice JKS quick discos, but they bent downward(I assume this is what you meant by the SB mounts). Also looks like you have tow hook mounts already in the front, just missing the tow hooks. Jeepforum technical page has the how to, to cut the rockers out and weld in tubing
Thanks, I'm new to the cherokee world, but not new to four wheeling, I've been running jeeps and scouts for the past 12 years. I read alot of the info no welding the rockers in, just hard to choose what option would be best for me.
Today was a great day, I picked up a yakima roof rack with shovel and axe mounts, it has the axe but I need to pick up a shovel, and a set of hi-lift mounts for the cherokee for a whooping $100.It was one of those deals I just couldn't let slide by and hate myself later for not buying it. The cherokee is in it's early stages of building right now, just got to do a lot of pondering on which direction I want to go. I have other trail rigs besides and this will be a everydaydriver on top of the offroading it will do. This site seems really cool, lots of good tech info. I could spend a month of sunday's just searching.

good find, especially if the rockers are the worst part/rust limited to that area. Good fair price. About the herculiner on the bumper, dont do it, i herced my bumpers and rockers, and the cargo area. I dont like it, it is thin, dry, and doesnt take well to touching it up.

Others have said to try durabak next time. I would just rustoleum rattle can the rear bumper, flap dissk the rust, put some navy jelly on it to eat the rust off, neutralize it with baking soda, paint with rustoleum zinc primer, paint black rustoleum, and touch up as neccessary. Thats my recomendation.

That looks like a Currie 9" They usually send them out with a full detroit in them and 31 spline shafts. If it is, It'll have a build # stamped in the top of the center section. Does it have discs? That's what I run. I'll bet it has 4.10's or even 4.56's with the kind of power you say it has.

binderbart said:
it doesnt leak a drop of oil.

You'd better check the oil. There may not be any in there.:D

It's a Ford 9" with a D30 up front. You can have whatever bolt pattern you want on the rear. Just drill the shafts and brakes to work.

motorcityxj said:
good find, especially if the rockers are the worst part/rust limited to that area. Good fair price. About the herculiner on the bumper, dont do it, i herced my bumpers and rockers, and the cargo area. I dont like it, it is thin, dry, and doesnt take well to touching it up.

Others have said to try durabak next time. I would just rustoleum rattle can the rear bumper, flap dissk the rust, put some navy jelly on it to eat the rust off, neutralize it with baking soda, paint with rustoleum zinc primer, paint black rustoleum, and touch up as neccessary. Thats my recomendation.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it some thought.

passxj said:
That looks like a Currie 9" They usually send them out with a full detroit in them and 31 spline shafts. If it is, It'll have a build # stamped in the top of the center section. Does it have discs? That's what I run. I'll bet it has 4.10's or even 4.56's with the kind of power you say it has.

You'd better check the oil. There may not be any in there.:D

I'm not sure what it is for sure, I"ve been so busy cutting firewood and working on other peoples rigs I haven't had a chance to pop it up on the hoist and check, I don't think it is geared as nice as you suggested though, with 31 " tires at 55mgh I'm only taching out at about 2100. Oh, and I check the oil every week, the old man drilled that into us;) .
Most of the cherokee's we get in the shop to work on have a rear main leak, this one is bone dry, and I'm alright with that.

My guess would be a ford 9" also, and it is the stock axle up front. from some of the searching I've done I've found some reply to a 8.8??. not sure if it is high or low pinion, its dark right now or I'd go outside and look...or not, long day, i'm tired and midnight comes early. I did get lucky and pick up a yakima roof rack for it with the axe and shovel mounts and a set of hi-lift mounts for $100. I will say this, I filled it with gas today and made a 48 mile round trip and I'm down to 3/4 of a tank, it SUCKS for gas mileage. I dropped a can of seafoam in the tank when I filled it, see if that helps. Right now I have to get the new plastic tank in the scout terra, then I should have some time to start wrenching on the cherokee. their talking snow tomorrow and thursday, so I need to get the front driveshaft back in it.

Back