• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEW to Jeeps Here's mine and a start

damn that looks good. Getting ready to do the same thing on mine but trying to finish the backend first. what made you mount the bypasses that way instead of ordering the shocks with the steamboat on the top like factory mounting?

Because the factory style is weak and the mount will snap like a match stick.

There is no engine cage. I don't plan on beating on this thing to hard if it has issue I handle it when it comes up.

You really don't have to beat them hard to start pulling those seams apart. All it takes is a good stiff shock. Add the additional stresses of the bypass and things start pulling apart quickly. And you added even more leverage by pushing the mount up like that.

Consider this at a minimum - ever see a strut tower brace for a Mustang? Make something similar - run a hoop over the engine between your two mounts. Run diagonal braces from each shock mount back to the pinch seam on the firewall so they meet in the middle. That will strengthen it considerably. Once that area starts cracking, it never stops.

You really don't have to beat them hard to start pulling those seams apart. All it takes is a good stiff shock. Add the additional stresses of the bypass and things start pulling apart quickly. And you added even more leverage by pushing the mount up like that.

Consider this at a minimum - ever see a strut tower brace for a Mustang? Make something similar - run a hoop over the engine between your two mounts. Run diagonal braces from each shock mount back to the pinch seam on the firewall so they meet in the middle. That will strengthen it considerably. Once that area starts cracking, it never stops.

I think we will add something to the front. Strut brace of some sort. Looking to get it out on the trails for some light wheeling. I have a 4 seater If i want to go fast.

I still need to install the unibody stiffener and tie in the rear leaf mounts.

Back