• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New thread in OEM, Also looking for possible local help

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=245144856#post245144856

New thread I just posted in OEM, Also looking for possible local help in the thread, see below bold text, and please post answers in the OEM forum. Thanks RRC!

"Old story, update.....

At first it only acted up on cold mornings, first run of the day, last 3 winters, over about a 30,000 mile, 3 year period. Once the T fluid warmed up it would finally engage 1st gear and drive. Reverse has always worked, still does, so it is not the torque converter IMHO. I have given it 2.5 quart Dex III transfusions 2-3 times a year the last 24 months, and 2, 1/2 pint treatments of Trans X each winter, all which helped the last 2 winters. I added 1/2 quart of transX 4 weeks ago as the fluid was a 1/2-1 quart low.

Then this week I added 3/4ths of a quart of Dexron III, and got it to the middle to low end of the hatch marks cold. Fluid looks and smells fine. But the last addition of Dexron III did not get it the 1st gear engagement working again like normal. Even after a good warm up, it now wants to slip badly, and slips with some noise (new noise, mild noise, but definatly not a normal noise), so I am trying to decide what to do next.

Not sure a series of transfusions of Dexron III fluid will do the trick anymore (like they did in the past), as the cold temp that causes problems has reached about 75 F this time, versus say 60 F, and 45 F two winters ago. And this week, it did not want to work even at 80 F. Seems to have a small leak developing too, but not sure the extra dose of TransX did not cause part of the lost volume, as it has a very thin viscosity, solvent like. It is supposed to help swell old seals and help them seal, and help clean up, dissolve varnish that can make the valve body valves stick.

I don't think there is any reason to suspect the solenoid, as I have not heard of them being temperature sensitive and weak...., and the Tranny computer is ruled out too, mostly because they have worked fine while this progressive cold start up winter issue has gotten slowly worse over 3 winters now. This winter the problem started at 75 F, not 45 F.

3 years ago someone here suggested the valve body might need new o'rings and seats/seals.

I have a lot of choices, including a spare 87-89 tranny that was working when pulled, sitting in my shop. It has been in my storage for 3-4 years now (so it might need new seals from lack of use?). But I don't have a lot of spare time. Lastly I don't trust others to work on my junk anymore, and don't know anyone I trust really. But if there was someone, others have used in the South East Houston area, that really knows AW-4s that would work with me, I might consider using them. Otherwise, I need the fastest simplest route, and I don't need to be swapping the tranny five times, as I am "Getting too old for this Sh*t"!:D

I don't mind spending some money on say a new valve body, to install in the current AW4 if that might solve the problem. I guess I need to pull the pan next and see what if anything is in the pan, to see if the clutch plates are OK or not. I know there was some kind of work done (flex plate, Tranny...) before I bought the jeep, but I don't know how much they really did to the AW4, if any. It had 224,000 miles when I bought it in 2004-05. Now has 278,000 miles.

I have the AW4 manual.

So, looking for some expert guidance, ideas from those who have rebuilt AW4s, in part or completely, or found easier fixes for this problem. One person suggested recently that I try Lucas tranny additive, the thick stuff made specifically for slipping transmissions. He said it worked for him for a long time on the company 1996 XJ at work, and is still working!

I can't help but think that maybe the extra TransX may have dissolved some varnish, then dried up again and left the varnish in a worse spot since I did not drain and flush it! I am wondering about running some transX in neutral for 30 minutes, then do a few transfusions (say 5 quarts) with Dextron III to dilute and remove the varnish and transX, then try the Lucas last, before moving onto real hardware replacement if needed."

87. The AW4 does not use a filter, just a course wire screen, I am told.

ummm i have three aw4s and they all have a filter, now as to how much of a filter it is not sure but it is also the pickup line in the bottom of the pan...have changed a few and they were (gunky) seemed to shift better when changed and new oil added....i have 6 xjs from 89' to 98'

Interesting. In 4 years of being here on NAXJA, everyone else has said the filter on the AW4 is more like a rock and marble screen, not a filter that can plug up. Perhaps it warrants a real look. Thanks. I think I recall a loose filter in my sons Ford taurus causing suction problems as the o'ring seal for the filter was above the normal T fluid top level, or some such odd findings. I think I will pull the pan, do an inspection, and then decide what to do next, after inspecting the inside bottom for stuff, and the filter. I could access the Solenoids then also. Check for any real metal, friction material in the pan, gummy screen, etc. It would also allow me to drain more old fluid all at once.

You have me beat with 6 XJs! I thought I had a compulsive disorder with 4 and a parts stash, LOL

ummm i have three aw4s and they all have a filter, now as to how much of a filter it is not sure but it is also the pickup line in the bottom of the pan...have changed a few and they were (gunky) seemed to shift better when changed and new oil added....i have 6 xjs from 89' to 98'

I picked up a gasket & filter kit at Autozone. While it is a stainless steel wire mesh, it is extremely fine, much finer than I expected after all the prior posts I read over the last 4 years. Looks like at least 300 US mesh screen size, which is plugable! The way earlier posters talked (old threads) it was about 30 mesh. I also grabed a quart of Lucas tranny treatment. I will add the rest of my TransX (about 1/2 quart), run it in reverse, parking brake on to get it circulating and hot, then drain it, pull the pan (drain more fluid) and filter, inspect the pan, replace the pan and filter (probably), and try fresh fluid first. Then if needed drain 2 more quarts, and add the Lucas. If that fails I may go after a Remove, rebuild and replace the valve body next. I may Just pull and do the valve body first anyway? Not sure yet. I will also check the solenoids.

Thanks. I got the pan off today. Drained it after a good warm up run with extra TransX added first.

Filter screen, is actually about 300 mesh very fine stainless steel wire mesh screen (cloth) filter, which contrary to what I have read here at NAXJA many times before, could plug up!!!! Mine was dirty, possibly dirty enough to starve the pump!!! Pan had some black goo in the bottom, looked like moly grease, fluid was very dirty, but not burned, the fine black stuff was also on the filter screen.

There was no clutch material and no metal powder or metal flack or metal bits or pieces of metal in the pan at all!!!! I was a bit surprised. The valve body, tranny internals were spotless!!!! Never seen one that clean.

Middle filter mounting bolt was completely missing!

Bottom drain pan bolts were loose.

I found a VERY loose bolt on the side that appears to hold the throttle cable connection to the side of the tranny valve body, so that linkage was no longer completely tied down at the tranny attachment point.

I will check the solenoids tomorrow. Ran out of time and daylight today.

Just dawned on me that if the filter-screen was starving the pump in forward drive, it would starve the pump in reverse. Reverse was still working perfectly. So I am back to maybe a solenoid or valve problem I think.

it would prolly only do it in drive, u dont go fast enough in R to cause a problem and there are/is only one gear, no changes to b made while in reverse....make sense?

it would prolly only do it in drive, u dont go fast enough in R to cause a problem and there are/is only one gear, no changes to b made while in reverse....make sense?

I think you miss understood something. It is slipping at 0-5 MPH in 1-2, 3 and D, cant get over 5 MPH. Engine was at 3000 rpm, and only getting up to about 5 mph peak. In reverse I can do 5 mph at 900 rpm!

I tested the solenoids today, got 13, 14 and 15 ohms on disconnected solenoids, all within factory spec, so no joy there.

I am thinking about swapping the valve body from my spare AW4, while I have it open.

I managed to drive the 87 4WD beast to my shop last weekend at about 30 mph, thanks mainly to Lucas thick T additive for Transmissions and fresh fluid. Still slipping bad in first gear between 0-10 mph, but not as bad (TCU disconnected, running in manual mode). Planning to swap the AW4 out with my spare. I plan to put a seal and o'ring kit in when I get it out, keep as a spare in case the current spare has issues.

My 89 2WD is acting up now too. I am looking for a cheap spare back up, know good low mileage 89 AW4 for 2 WD, just in case. It may just be dirty old T fluid on this one, so I have started doing weekly Dex III transfusions, first was last night. It does not want to shift into any gear on first cold morning start. Not a slipping issue, on this one. Maybe be a sticking valve, dirty fluid, I am thinking. Last year it was acting up, and after 2 transfusions, it ran 24,000 miles with no problems.

Last edited:
Back