• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New snorkel write up

I might even have considered it, but to remove the ABS pump means I'll have to replace all the hard lines in that area...if it was easier, maybe...

The new design I did stopped the use of the ABS equipted ones I'm sorry. Not sure if the old one would have cleared anyway as it came out hard against the back of the airbox?

Gojeep said:
You can leave the battery disconnected over night or discharge any power in the ECU by trying to turn on the headlights or start the engine while it is still disconnected. This forces the ECU to re-map all the values so make sure you drive your average way once re-connected. The extra air flow can be outside the range of the values you have before the change. Letting it sit at idle until the thermostat is open is said to be a good way of starting the reset as well.
Be careful with the K&N on how much oil you used as well. Too much and you restrict the airflow and too little will have you sucking dust. That is why I dont like them. Try dropping in a stock paper one and check the mileage.

Alright, I'm going to Miami for a week, so I'll disconnect the battery and leave the headlights on and stuff. I tried disconnecting it yesterday and driving around but it seemed like it got a little better, but not a ton. I went through about $15 dollars worth in a day or so, and it wasn't like I drove extremely far. I should also probably buy a new thermostat. I drained my coolant that was dark brown in color a couple months ago, and I had about an inch thick layer of gunk (not sure if it was mud or what) in the over flow bottle. I'm sure my thermostat is a little gunked up then, still having a little problem with it heating up now and again.

As for the K&N, thanks for that info. Ya I thought that over oiling might have been an issue, because When I was trying to reoil it it was kind of cold out and each time I checked the filter it looked like it still had missing spots. I'll pick up a stock one when I get back.

Thanks for the info.

Make sure you fit a 195* themostat too, as if you fit a cooler one, the ECU will think the engine is still trying to warm up and run it rich! It doesn't even read the o2 sensor until at the correct running temperature.

You can now...but when this thread was started almost 3 years ago, you could only get them from Austrailia ;)

Ah yes...just tried to get a price on the DPG snorkel. CONTACT US.

I love it when its a big freakin secret on pricing.

Mostly just want to know if their plastic is super duper special and costs $300 plus for it or if it is more in a reasonable price of $99.95.

Sorry for the rant. I want a snorkel on both of my jeeps and molded plastic is stupid cheap to make. I don't want to use PVC piping for the ghetto fab job but at $300 plus for PLASTIC, I will do PVC and go get a locker with my left over money.

Anyone have a price? Will it work on a 90 with a HO dropped in?

I believe the price is around $260 to $280. Certainly better pricing than the ARB snorkel.

Bouncy said:

Mostly just want to know if their plastic is super duper special and costs $300 plus for it or if it is more in a reasonable price of $99.95.

Sorry for the rant. I want a snorkel on both of my jeeps and molded plastic is stupid cheap to make. I don't want to use PVC piping for the ghetto fab job but at $300 plus for PLASTIC, I will do PVC and go get a locker with my left over money.

Umm, dude, not quite sure where you went, but it has a price up on the website, and its $279. Much better than $400 something (97+) you will pay for the ARB, not to mention much better routing design. (This way you won't keep ripping out your hose if you flex.)
http://www.dpgoffroad.com/airflowsnorkels.htm

I got mine right before the holidays ended for $260 shipped to my door. My buddy had payed about $500 for his ARB a week before, and I checked his out, there was a mess of tubing under his wheel well.

I would imagine the cost its more of the design process and how its made, (seeing as how its specially designed and molded to fit the curvature of your specific vehicle), than it being "super duper plastic". The only choices you have are Airflow or ARB if you don't want booty fab, and personally I sprung the money for it because I wanted it to look nice instead of a hack job, because I along with everyone else on the road will have to stare at it every day.

Edit:
Starscream said:
My ARB was $308 shipped. It's not that crazy expensive.
Thats because you have a pre 97 XJ. It jumps up another hundred or so for 97+. And you must have gotten a deal on it then.

Begster said:
Umm, dude, not quite sure where you went, but it has a price up on the website, and its $279. Much better than $400 something (97+) you will pay for the ARB, not to mention much better routing design. (This way you won't keep ripping out your hose if you flex.)
http://www.dpgoffroad.com/airflowsnorkels.htm

I got mine right before the holidays ended for $260 shipped to my door. My buddy had payed about $500 for his ARB a week before, and I checked his out, there was a mess of tubing under his wheel well.

I would imagine the cost its more of the design process and how its made, (seeing as how its specially designed and molded to fit the curvature of your specific vehicle), than it being "super duper plastic". The only choices you have are Airflow or ARB if you don't want booty fab, and personally I sprung the money for it because I wanted it to look nice instead of a hack job, because I along with everyone else on the road will have to stare at it every day.

Edit:
Thats because you have a pre 97 XJ. It jumps up another hundred or so for 97+. And you must have gotten a deal on it then.

I'll give you that. I don't usually click on pictures.

I went to the left of the main page. Clicked on PRODUCTS and then went through a couple till I hit ENGINE.

Listed on the ENGINE page near the bottom below the radiators is CONTACT US FOR PRICING AND DETAILS.

So I didn't click any further.

My bad.

Ya, that would be the ARB Safari Snorkel that says call for pricing. This is because it is different for the two different body styles of XJ (96 and earlier and 97-01). These two different set ups have two different prices. Also right above the "call for pricing" it says "Available for Jeep, Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Isuzu, Land Rover, Suzuki, Mitsubishi and Mazda." They have a couple different products that you could order, and they all have different pricing on them. So I would imagine that putting call was much easier than all the prices to the various snorkels ARB makes.

Begster said:
Ya, that would be the ARB Safari Snorkel that says call for pricing. This is because it is different for the two different body styles of XJ (96 and earlier and 97-01). These two different set ups have two different prices. Also right above the "call for pricing" it says "Available for Jeep, Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Isuzu, Land Rover, Suzuki, Mitsubishi and Mazda." They have a couple different products that you could order, and they all have different pricing on them. So I would imagine that putting call was much easier than all the prices to the various snorkels ARB makes.

And I would have figured...Given business phones usually charge about a penny and a half per call for local calls no matter what. And that millions of websites are able to do a listing of prices, part numbers etc. It would have been pretty easy to list the 25-?? Items with pricing.

Granted I missed the one price on the page you listed. But 2 versions for jeep...Thats 2 prices. No need for a call. Add the other vendors...and again..you don't have that much in text. Afterall, he has plenty of pictures and such on the sight and they took a lot more programming than text.

It sounds like I am bashing DPG...I'm NOT. I have bought from them a couple of times. Great guys. My gripe in general is having to take the time to call when the internet is there to make it easy. Price check, shop, buy..ship, get install be done. Anywho..DPG is a good vendor..end of story.

Begster said:
Edit:
I know, but there are plenty of ways to get around ARB's $100 washer fluid bottle. For price - I guess you could call it a deal. I got mine from the Carolina Rock Shop. Dirk at DPG quoted me $310 shipped.

As far as ripping out the tubing goes, you'd have to flex like mad, have no bumpstops to limit, and demolish your fender in order to take it out. If you tuck it up high (where it needs to be) and bumpstop, this should never be a problem.

With that said, I wish the Airflow had been available when I bought my ARB. :(

Starscream said:
I know, but there are plenty of ways to get around ARB's $100 washer fluid bottle. For price - I guess you could call it a deal. I got mine from the Carolina Rock Shop. Dirk at DPG quoted me $310 shipped.

As far as ripping out the tubing goes, you'd have to flex like mad, have no bumpstops to limit, and demolish your fender in order to take it out. If you tuck it up high (where it needs to be) and bumpstop, this should never be a problem.

With that said, I wish the Airflow had been available when I bought my ARB. :(

Hmm, I have heard a number of people on here talk about how 35's will do the trick. I personally don't have an ARB and only know one XJ with one on, but as I was looking at his I could see where this could be a problem. I'm glad that you don't have that problem, one less thing to fix. I'll stick with my Airflow through the inner fender though.

When I was shopping, I saw most of the ARB's for pre 97 for around $320 or a little above, but then again I really wasn't paying attention to them because I have a '99. And ya, $100 to relocate your fluid bottle is a bit ridiculous. Now, I just wished I had removed mine and hadn't topped it off when I needed to drill those holes for my snorkel...

Bouncy said:

They are NOT just some cheap plastic. The material for the snorkel is from the highest grade Virgin Polyethylene Plastic and is fully formulated for long term UV resistance. Enough is added that when melted it ends up around 4 mm thick. I see seen vehicles roll with them on and they were still fine afterwards.
See my write up on how they are made right at the bottom of the index page under odds and sods. ;)

Snorkel%20007.jpg

Snorkel%20012.jpg

Back