• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new problem

jeepbub

NAXJA Forum User
I now have the new engine in and it finally does start with the key switch. Now I have a new problem. It feels like it is out of time. It will sit there and idle OK for a while and then it just dies. I thought it might be the fuel pump so I changed it out and still the same problem. If I try to move the jeep It falls on its face. and backfires through the tail pipe and sometimes through the manifold. Is there any way to tell if it has jumped time without taking of the timing cover. I bring it up to top dead center and the rotor is lined up with number 1 on the cap. I have checked all of the wires and they are in line with the firing order. I need some direction.

the rotor must be just past #1 (about 4:30 iirc), went through this myself while installing a new motor. Mine wouls start and run good but same thing, backfire like all hell if I gave it any gas

Back