• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Paint?

Wallymander

NAXJA Forum User
I have the 87 Comanche long bed. Just bought it, its in immaculate shape, Just put some Pathfinder A/T 30/9.5s on it. Now i need to get a new paint job. Not going to go expensive. It is red (Fading of course) and im not a big fan of red so........
Im really leaning towards yellow. For two reasons
1. Its a primary color so its a little cheaper
2. Just because
3. I can call it the "Big Banana"

Mabye olive drab green?
I dunno, anyone ever paint and then regret the color? Looking for color ideas.
If i stick with red they wont have to go into door jambs, hood, all that.
And probably less sanding and prep work.Also since itll be a Maaco cheapo paiint job, if it flakes it wont be as obvious.
Thoughts?

If you are doing this on the cheap leave it red. 1. A crappy color change will look like hell and cost a lot more than a simple repaint.. 2. Red is a great Jeep color & while maybe too common on XJs it's a little more unusual on an MJ. Get it super clean before you take it to Maaco or any other quickie paint place. Where Maaco really falls down on the job is prep. That's why their paint peels, they don't get all the grease & wax off, so the paint doesn't adhere. They actually do a decent job of putting the paint on & if you step up to the catalyzed it'll keep it's shine. I was a body man for many years & I occasionally use them for a quickie paint job on a used car if I don't want to mess with it myself.:cheers:

Hello a friend of mine is wanting to get his painted .We were taking aboput doing all the body work wet sanding it fixing all the dents all are verry small one spot of rust on drivers door about 2 in round not a hole just thur the paint .The rest just scats and chips .Some one said Maco could do a verry good jub and a fu said it would look like s,,t when done by them .What is every one thoughts on this it will be factory color but he wants it to look factory

I love my red painted comanche. I will be lowering it and getting some moabs and a stroker for it, to make a street comanche. I bought it red and after a good wash and wax the paint looks great, it is a nice red. I was going to go with a satin black paint job with a semi gloss clear maybe with some pearl, but the more I look the more I like the red.

If you are doing this on the cheap leave it red. 1. A crappy color change will look like hell and cost a lot more than a simple repaint.. 2. Red is a great Jeep color & while maybe too common on XJs it's a little more unusual on an MJ. Get it super clean before you take it to Maaco or any other quickie paint place. Where Maaco really falls down on the job is prep. That's why their paint peels, they don't get all the grease & wax off, so the paint doesn't adhere. They actually do a decent job of putting the paint on & if you step up to the catalyzed it'll keep it's shine. I was a body man for many years & I occasionally use them for a quickie paint job on a used car if I don't want to mess with it myself.:cheers:

Thanks for the info, I think i will keep it red and then try and replace the black logo decal that goes along the bottom of the panels. Mabye find one that says "Comanche" or something to look OEM. Or i could Line-X the lower quarter.

Back