• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Moy: Electric Mower

n1ywb

NAXJA Forum User
I live on a postage stamp and after using an electric lawn mower once, I decided I wanted one.

Batteries suck, I've had terrible experiences with them in all sorts of devices. I wanted an electric mower partly for reliability. So I went for a straight plug-in AC model.

13120.jpg

http://www.homelite.com/catalog/lawn_mowers/UT13120

It kicks ass. I hadn't mowed all year, and it was up to 10" in spots. It got a little bogged down in the really thick stuff, but no more than a gas mower would have. It's quieter too. It never runs out of gas. There's no oil, filter, or spark plug to change. It's zero maintenance.

The extension cord isn't a big deal. You start at the outlet and work your way out. When you turn you just flip the cord over a few feet.

I give it two thumbs up! :thumbup: :thumbup:

New moy... damn.

Honda Gas for me.

With 2 acres of grass the thoughts of an electric mower makes me shudder.

we've got a JD riding mower w/ bagger attachment. i love that thing.

i am however open to weed eater ideas.

Again. Honda 4 stroke...

I bet we've had 15 2 stroke weed whackers over the years and they are all junk.

Bought the 4 stroke Honda about four years ago and it's never gave me a single problem. It's also super smooth and you don't get the weed whacker "jello arms" after using it.

thanks. the hubby wants a stihl....i dont want to spend 200 bucks on a weed wacker.

You will on a Honda too but its worth every penny.

You could spend $80 on a cheaper one and replace it every year or so. You will save money in the long run.

i know....i happen to be kinda weird about buying stuff like that....i'm a firm believer that even if you dont buy the biggest and most expensive if you take care of it it'll last if ya dont thrash it.

but i know that some things you might as well flat out get the more expensive done due to quality and whatnot. i may just fork over the money for the stihl and be done. cuz i think with those you can get the attachments now.

i'm a firm believer that even if you dont buy the biggest and most expensive if you take care of it it'll last if ya dont thrash it.

Anything with a little motor is always an exception to that rule though. Chain saws, lawn mowers, weed whackers are all cases of "You get what you pay for"

BTW...nothing wrong with a Stihl.

Is it really quite what?

Ron

i believe he was asking if it was really quiet.

and DrMoab....yea, i understand that too. we went with the JD mower cuz my family has owned em forever....and the things last as long as u take care of em.

i'll probably end up getting a stihl. the co-cop and the local JD dealer in town have some pretty comparative prices compared to the normal stuff that sears, lowes, and home depot sell.

Get a weed wacker... and then put a circular saw blade on it when preparing for the zombie apocalypse.

I live on a postage stamp and after using an electric lawn mower once, I decided I wanted one.

Batteries suck, I've had terrible experiences with them in all sorts of devices. I wanted an electric mower partly for reliability. So I went for a straight plug-in AC model.

13120.jpg

http://www.homelite.com/catalog/lawn_mowers/UT13120
Looks nice! I couldn't ever use one it would take me a year to cut my "lawn". Heck with a 60" deck on the tractor, NOT bagging it, still takes half the day.
It's zero maintenance.
Still got to sharpen the blade. ;)
Anything with a little motor is always an exception to that rule though. Chain saws, lawn mowers, weed whackers are all cases of "You get what you pay for"

BTW...nothing wrong with a Stihl.
X2. Stihl is worth the extra cash.
A cheaper option for a string trimmer would be Echo. Check them out.

Whatever you do, do yourself a favor and find a shop/dealer. Don't go to a Home Depot or Lowes and buy one from the kid that was selling paint last week and electrical tape the week before that.

Last edited:
i believe he was asking if it was really quiet.

I figured as such, but I also figured it was worth a bit of fun on my part :D

Yes, it is quieter than a normal mower. All you get is the sound of the blade and the cooling fan on the motor.

For a trimmer I went with a 4cycle option a while back. It too is quieter and you don't have to mix any special gas for it. I also have the brush cutter attachment. I suppose you could use it on Zombies :D

we've got a JD riding mower w/ bagger attachment. i love that thing.

Shindaiwa trimmers rock. My first one lasted 20 years. I used it commercially for the first 2 years and only had it serviced twice over 2 decades. My second one is 7 years old and still running strong. I'm running a T231. It's probably overkill for a postage stamp sized lawn, but nothing beats a real power trimmer. Those cheap electric jobs are next to worthless.

Last edited:
Back