• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Lift Kit Instal - Holy Crap!

rockclimber24315 said:
get your socket with a lifetime warrenty and put a piece of heavy guage conduit over it and crank away.

Also use a hydraulic jack. I find it easier than a BFH

I usually get this guy to help when a bolt needs to come out. He's never met a bolt he can't take care of.

As you can see, well broken-in

RCPMaximaMeet054.jpg

The problems i had with mine was the drivers side LCA, both bolts were seized, brother ended up cutting em out. other than that, lift went in pretty easily.

Great! Almost everyone talks about breaking the bolt free. I am past that. Only one won't come out and it turns freely. It is the upper bolt in the rear. What is the configuration of the nut in the unibody? Is it a nut spot welded in or something else. Does any one have pictures?

If the leaf spring nut (in the unibody frame) breaks loose...it will suck. You will have to cut the bolt to get the spring off and do the following. Yes i sprayed it with PB before hand....
Cut leaf spring bolt/nut was spinning freely in unibody frame
PC190006.jpg

Cut unibody frame to get to nut
PC190007.jpg

New plate with nut welded to back side ready to burn in.
PC200028.jpg

Done
PC200029.jpg

hey sjx40250 (and anyone else out there doing the leaf spring upgrade thing) I just had a fun time trying to get mine out. I had the same old problems with the bolt rusting to the sleeve of the bushing, and I had to cut them out with sawzall. I also broke the rear shackle to frame nut from it's weld on the passenger side. I had to cut a hole from the top to access the nut thru a hole in the frame. I know that sounds confusing but when you look down from the top (from the hole you cut ) the nut is seen thru another hole in the frame. These nuts are not 21mm like the heads of leaf bolts and the nuts on the shackle to leaf bolt. I finally cut this one out after struggling to fit a socket over this nut which was at least larger than 22mm (largest socket I have). After visual inspection it appears to be 24mm because it is a locking nut. I cannot verify the size but it is definitely bigger than 22mm. I hope this helps, and maybe someone will chime in with the actual verified size of this locking nut.

I have a 97XJ Sport and I am installing a 3" OME lift kit, and will be a NAXJA member soon. This site rocks!

Back