• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Laptop Time

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Well I quit my job a couple of months ago but got to keep my work laptop, a dell, in case they needed me to do some work on the side for them. Long story short theyve decided they want it back. So Ive got to replace it. Anyone have any good suggestions for a laptop ~1K?

Looking for something for cruising the net, gaming (things like C&C generals, FPS games) basic wordprocessing, and hopefully something to play with a GPS on. Storage for music and pics, too.

Im currently looking at a Dell XPS-

XPS M1530 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB, 3MB Cache) H83DHN [223-5880]
Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1 VHP31E
Memory 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms) 4GB2D [311-7823]
LCD, Color Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch LCD (1280x800)
Video Card 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT 25686GT [320-6082]
Hard Drives Size: 320GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive 320GB [341-5865]
Combo or DVD+RW Drive Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write) 8XDVDRW [313-5820][420-8183]
Sound Card High Definition Audio 2.0 IS [313-4783]
Wireless Networking Cards Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card TM1395 [430-2680]
Productivity Microsoft Works IWRK9 [420-8051]
Primary Battery 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery 9BAT [312-0639]
Processor Branding Intel Core 2 Duo Processor IC2DNB
Dell Printer Driver Windows Vista™ Premium VPN

Im not looking forward to being pinned into Vista but Im not seeing much of a choice. Ive got a guy that knows his stuff on a local forum looking into getting a quote from Asus for a similar laptop build but hopefully with XP. Or I might stick with the XPS route and perhaps throw an T9300 (2.5GHz/800Mhz FSB, 6MB Cache) in there instead. I only want to do this once, so hopefully a build like this will still keep up with things 5 years down the road.

Any other suggestions or cautions/changes you would make are appreciated, I only know enough about this stuff to be dangerous...

I got a Dell 17" Studio and added the fingerprint reader - I like being able to log into windows with just a slide of my finger.
I can even log into NAXJA by sliding my finger.

I also added the backlit keyboard - but found that unless you're looking at the keyboard almost from straight above, that you get a glare from underneath the keys.

I really like the slot-loaded CD/DVD drive.

Add Bluetooth if it's an option.
It's nice to use a bluetooth mouse without having the USB key sticking out the side of the computer.

and finally....make sure to check notebookreview.com for Dell coupon codes

Can you not get an XP Pro L.T. Through Dell outlet store anymore? Seems like they had some for businesses that are all XP

Some of the business laptops can be had with XP, but they tend to have inferior video cards and all that good stuff. I would sacrifice XP for a better performing computer all around. Plus its only a matter of time before Vista works well and XP is abandoned...

I was looking at an Inspiron as well and can upgrade almost everything and come in just under the price of an XPS, but the video card is not upgradeable. For gaming sometimes that is what will make or break you even if everything else will run it. And since a laptop is pretty much un-upgradable for most things, I want to start off higher than what I need so that in a few years, it wont be as outdated.

Don't sweat it coming with Vista- you can always dual boot with XP. Or Windows 7, or Ubuntu, or OS10 or whatever Mac is. Spend your money on getting good hardware, and forget about the OS.

Go check out http://forum.thinkpads.com/index.php I've been dealing with laptops and such for quite a while, I have not seen a dell, hp, compaq or sony I liked and have had to send quite a few back brand new. My personal preference is IBM thinkpads, that's what all those others measure themselves by and the support online of them is unreal, show me another that has the detailed disassembly and reassembly of the entire laptop not to mention the aftermarket support. Heck I just bought a whole bunch of stuff last week off ebay to fix some small stuff like a busted power socket, new hard drive cradle so I can swap OS's faster, new upgraded wireless card, new touch pad, docking station, all for less than $100. Currently have a T30, T40 and a T43, the 30 and 40 came as IBM factory refurb with full warranties and cost less then $350 ea, the T43 was bought new from IBM and that puppy was a grand.

Now if you want something for fast games go buy a fragbook DRX here
http://www.falcon-nw.com/ that will empty your bank account fast... not as fast as a tadpole http://www.tadpole.com/products/notebooks.asp a new wrangler is cheaper than some of them...

I havent had any experience with Thinkpads, although I hear good things other than being a bit procey new. Which of thier line would be recommended for what Im generally looking for? Website isnt the easiest to view for some reason.

Pretty much every laptop Ive had/used has been a Dell, with no complaints other than battery life on these Latitudes (have 3 at work). I wouldnt hesitate to go Dell again, unless the XPS ones aren't worth it.

And those other 2 cost more than my XJ. It felt like I was to poor to even view the websites lol.

And good point about the OS if I get vista and cant stand it, XP is still easy to get my paws on.

If you go that route, make sure you can get XP drivers for all of the hardware in the new laptop. Don't assume they're available.

True again. My biggest concern is backwards compatibility, really. As long as most of the games I have on XP will work on Vista, Ill be set. I dont really care to get much deeper into it than that. I just want something Im not going to have to dick around with all the time to get things to work. Just surf the net, install and play the games. Download updates, or play online. And something thats not going to break, freeze up or generally die after 2 years...

Back