• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Jersey Lift Laws new website

Q: Where do they measure from the door? Door open/closed and front/rear?
Also has anyone passed with the front swaybar removed? I believe that would help pass the tilt. Has anyone upgraded/modified the swaybar to fix a previously failed attempt?

Q: Where do they measure from the door? Door open/closed and front/rear?
A) Bottom on the door sill.

Q) Also has anyone passed with the front swaybar removed? I believe that would help pass the tilt. Has anyone upgraded/modified the swaybar to fix a previously failed attempt?

A) I believe the opposite. Your goal is to limit lateral weight transfer. This is what the tilt test show. The side-to-side weight transfer which indicates the stability (or lack of) in the suspension.

Disconnecting sway bars allows greater lateral movement shifting more weight to the passenger side. The paasenger side is the one one the scale resulting in a higher weight transfer number.

Hope this helps,
Kent

i know this question has been beatin to death. but i can't find the answer can you run doorless in jersey as long as you have mirriors.

Would they fail you if you swapped in different axles? If i have a 60 and 14 bolt in an xj and the tires were covered would they fail or pass you?

As long as tires are contained, mud flaps are width of tire and extend down to at least 8" from the ground (in the rear) you should be fine.

The axle itself is not an issue, as long it has all of the properly brackets, brakes, lines, etc that would found on the OE axle.

We've gone through inspection with an XJ running 60's 3 times to date without issue.

hi i am currently not a jeep owner but i saw this topic and figured i would add input. as far as mud flaps, joe from asbury park told me that as long they are the width of the tire you are good to go but depending on where you mount them will decide how low they have to be. if mountedon the bumper he gave me a general rule of thumb that they must be as low as the center of the rim. if mounted on the fender well they must be as low as the bottom of the rim as a general rule of thumb. i would highly recomend asbury park as they helped me out alot on my lifted chevy.

as far as mud flaps, joe from asbury park told me that as long they are the width of the tire you are good to go but depending on where you mount them will decide how low they have to be. if mountedon the bumper he gave me a general rule of thumb that they must be as low as the center of the rim. if mounted on the fender well they must be as low as the bottom of the rim as a general rule of thumb..

This is a good example of the inspectors interpretation of the statutes.

Joe's a good guy and is using the older general interpretation on flaps (width of tire, extending to axle centerline). This is the one we personally prefer, as it's very simple. :).

can you run doorless in jersey as long as you have mirriors.

We are still trying to verify this, but our understanding is doorless on any vehicle not specifically designed for it is illegal falling under 39:3-44 -unsafe vehicle.

We suspect this would apply to any unibody vehicle.

I'm slightly confused...I have what I believe to be a lifted 98 Classic on 31's. I measured and the door sill height is only at a little over 21". Would I need to look into specialty inspection or can I just roll through a regular state station (probably Newton in Sussex Co.)? Also pretty much the rest is stock, would I need to look into mudflaps also? The tires are on stock wheels and are covered by the stock flares. I do have a snorkel...is that something to be concerned about? Thanks for any infomation, I am coming up on inspection in February and would like to make it as easy as possible on myself (I'm sure most of us would go that route).
Have a great weekend!

We are still trying to verify this, but our understanding is doorless on any vehicle not specifically designed for it is illegal falling under 39:3-44 -unsafe vehicle.

We suspect this would apply to any unibody vehicle.

I went to court in Aberdeen, NJ for 'unsafe vehicle - no driver door' and got it dropped.

I can't tell you what merit that decision has, or if it would be the same if someone else went and tried it (this was in 2004), just sayin'.

When I brought my tube door to Ancora the guys couldn't tell me if it was legal or not. One guy hinted that if I had shown up with it installed on the vehicle they might not have said anything, but no guarantee.

Has anyone here passed nj inspection with a long arm setup? Looking to install the rough country LA upgrade but not sureif I'd pass inspection.

Thanks

Long Arms aren't a problem at all. My XJ has passed the last 6 years without an issue.

Kent

New Jersey is dropping the safety portion of their vehicle inspection in june of this year so they will only be testing for emission from now on. I guess I'll be bringing it on 35's and rolling out with nice 2 year sticker no questions asked. Can't wait, no more 1,000 point pre-inspection, no more swapping back to stock springs and tires, I may not even put the fenders back if I don't have to anymore. I'm starting to like this idea already. I used to almost start having a panic attack hoping the evil ruler won't show it's ugly head and ruin my life, the high lift test is rumored to be a nip picking nightmare from those who had to go through it.

Last edited:
New Jersey is dropping the safety portion of their vehicle inspection in june of this year so they will only be testing for emission from now on.

Not definite yet, no sooner than July, and rolled out in phases if it does pass.

robsjeepxj said:
I used to almost start having a panic attack hoping the evil ruler won't show it's ugly head and ruin my life, the high lift test is rumored to be a nip picking nightmare from those who had to go through it.

It's actually pretty fair, unless your truck isn't built right.

We agree with Vette.. If your rig can't pass High Rise it falls into one of two basic categories.

1) The rig has definitive safety problems that should be addressed.

2) The rig is has been modified/built to such a high degree that High Rise really isn't properly equipped to determine the safety/design of the rig. These rigs should have the option to procure some kind of exemption if certain conditions are met.

Mud flaps are certainly a thorny area, but we believe (while they look lame), they do provide protection to other vehicles. Rigs running mud tires etc can pick up and throw sizeable rocks at speed.

Remember you're sharing public roads with Mini Coopers, Smart Cars, etc. Let's say you upgrade your rig now weighing a 1,500 pounds more then stock, running 44's among other things. You didn't upgrade your brakes and the mini cooper in front of you slams on the brakes to avoid a deer. Your stock brakes are overwhelmed sheering the roof off the Mini Cooper, decapitating the family of 4 inside. Besides the human tragedy, your life has now been adversely affected as well. At least with a current High Rise sticker, it is proven the vehicle build was inspected and approved by the state.

My rig is very well built but built none the less. Almost everything "could" be an issue if they knew what they were looking for and wanted to make an issue out of it. The thing is big and the tires are huge and I'm definitely not even going to try to think how mudflaps big enough to cover the tires would look on it. With a 6" lift and 3 ft tall tires they would look ridiculously.

Last edited:
The thing is big and the tires are huge and I'm definitely not even going to try to think how mudflaps big enough to cover the tires would look on it. With a 6" lift and 3 ft tall tires they would look ridiculously.

Please be aware that everything is relative. A 6" lift and 3' foot tires may be huge to you, but to others that may be considered modest at best. There are folks on this thread that easily exceed this.

FYI. High Rise is not affected by New Jersey's pending inspection changes dropping the mechanical portion of inspection. All of the previous requirements for high rise are still in effect.

Back