• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Jersey folks, might be possible I am moving there

Most people move OUT of NJ, not in!
1) Ridiculously high auto insurance - it might even be the highest in the nation.
2) Ridiculously high property taxes.
3) Ridiculously expensive housing - especially in the towns you mentioned. They are pretty hot now and have been for many years. Hoboken parking is a line item on a lease. Lots of buildings converting from old industry to new condo/apartment living. Cool town, lots of bars and restaurants, but expensive.
4) Ridiculously long commutes if you work in NYC. The bayshore (South Amboy ESE to Highlands) offers some reasonable alternatives to Hudson River communities and offers high speed ferry service to NYC, but many of those towns still have affordable, albeit perhaps not as desirable real estate options.
5) Ridiculous traffic.
6) Ridiculously inept and corrupt politicians.
7) Ridiculously bad reputation for many things, but where else would you want to live? I have commuted into NYC for the last 25 years, via every possible commute (car, bus, train, boat) - how many other states offer you the same options? Not many.

NJ is a great place to live. Take a look at some maps of NJ and orient yourself west of NYC and south of NYC and you'll see what I'm talking about. What part of the state is your wife's job?

Plus NJ has something NOBODY ELSE HAS......Rutts Hutt....

01XJLIMITED said:
The bayshore (South Amboy ESE to Highlands) offers some reasonable alternatives to Hudson River communities and offers high speed ferry service to NYC, but many of those towns still have affordable, albeit perhaps not as desirable real estate options.

The fishing in Raritan bay is pretty good though... I enjoyed launching out of Leonardo and fishing around Sandy Hook for fluke, blues and stripers. Ahhh, the memories.

01XJLIMITED said:
Most people move OUT of NJ, not in!
1) Ridiculously high auto insurance - it might even be the highest in the nation.
2) Ridiculously high property taxes.
3) Ridiculously expensive housing - especially in the towns you mentioned. They are pretty hot now and have been for many years. Hoboken parking is a line item on a lease. Lots of buildings converting from old industry to new condo/apartment living. Cool town, lots of bars and restaurants, but expensive.
4) Ridiculously long commutes if you work in NYC. The bayshore (South Amboy ESE to Highlands) offers some reasonable alternatives to Hudson River communities and offers high speed ferry service to NYC, but many of those towns still have affordable, albeit perhaps not as desirable real estate options.
5) Ridiculous traffic.
6) Ridiculously inept and corrupt politicians.
7) Ridiculously bad reputation for many things, but where else would you want to live? I have commuted into NYC for the last 25 years, via every possible commute (car, bus, train, boat) - how many other states offer you the same options? Not many.

NJ is a great place to live. Take a look at some maps of NJ and orient yourself west of NYC and south of NYC and you'll see what I'm talking about. What part of the state is your wife's job?

My wife works in Washington State. We are talking about my girlfriend here.....

The potential job is in NJ... forgot what city, but 30 min commute from Hoboken. She wants to be close to the city, so Hoboken is about middle. She is from NY, so I can understand that.

Yes, it will be pricey. But I assume if she gets the job.... she has that part worked out. As long as we get high speed internet, I don't much care... at least until I get a job myself.

Lawn Cher' said:
The fishing in Raritan bay is pretty good though... I enjoyed launching out of Leonardo and fishing around Sandy Hook for fluke, blues and stripers. Ahhh, the memories.

Definitely. I have been fishing those waters all my life, from as far up the Raritan as you can go to offshore canyons and wrecks. Best striper fishing on the east coast. Take a venture a few miles off the beach and catch Mahi. Go offshore and catch anything you want.

Many of the towns along the bayshore still have a few rough spots. Where is Keansburg coming up with 300K for a converted bungalo? You could have purchased about 10 houses in Keansburg for 300K in 1990.

01XJLIMITED said:
Definitely. I have been fishing those waters all my life, from as far up the Raritan as you can go to offshore canyons and wrecks. Best striper fishing on the east coast. Take a venture a few miles off the beach and catch Mahi. Go offshore and catch anything you want.

It was just my luck that 3 months after I upsized to a boat that could hold its own outside the hook, we got the opportunity to relocate to STL on Boeing's dime and couldn't pass it up. Big lakes and rivers out here, but I miss the salt.

Lawn Cher' said:
I miss the salt.

The salt is jammin right now - striper schools are huge, and everywhere from Keyport flats and the reach, out to the rips, down the beach to Maryland it seems. Fluke are still sketchy, but improving.

01XJLIMITED said:
The salt is jammin right now - striper schools are huge, and everywhere from Keyport flats and the reach, out to the rips, down the beach to Maryland it seems. Fluke are still sketchy, but improving.

Have they continued to increase the minimum keeper length on fluke? Seemed like every year it was going up, 12 13 15...

Going down to OBX in August, I don't care what we catch, I'll just be happy to be back on the coast.

Lawn Cher' said:
I think it was still 15 or 15.5 when I left in '03. Has it resulted in more doormats?

The size limit has been 16.5 since 2004. Last year, the big fluke on my boat was about 9 pounds. The biggest fluke I saw from a tournament in 2005 was about 11 pounds. I do hear about alot of big fluke, but that is strictly opinion. Fish get bigger the longer they are dead anyway! A nice fish any day is about 5 pounds. The majority are far smaller than that. The ratio last year was about 5 shorts for every keeper.

If you can stick to south jersey, alot better living with less crime, more woods and places to 4wheel.. north jerseys sucks. to much traffic

steel58ers said:
If you can stick to south jersey, alot better living with less crime, more woods and places to 4wheel.. north jerseys sucks. to much traffic

But the pizza is better in North Jersey.

that is true about the pizza :)

Back