• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new idea for hi-mount alternator....

ehall said:
Another option would be to take the A/C compressor bracket from a RENIX engine, which supposedly bolts up on the bottom where the XJ alternator usually sits (see this thread). If that works you can simply use the WJ/TJ alternator bracket to move the alternator up top, and use the RENIX A/C bracket to move the A/C compressor to the bottom, and otherwise keep the belt routing identical.

What? Maybe I don't understand you...

See this:
P1010006-1.jpg

That's a RENIX alternator bracket and A/C bracket (with modified belt routing, and an idler instead of the A/C comp). RENIX have the A/C at the top, and alternator at the bottom, the same as a HO.

If guys are talking about RENIX 2.5l, that's a different matter that I don't really know.

You can use the RENIX A/C bracket to mount an alternator. Normally it comes out somewhere between 'kinda hack' and 'really hack' if a guy uses the RENIX internally regulated alternator. I do not know what happens if a guy uses a HO alternator, as I assume they are externally regulated and mount up at least slightly differently (I'm not a HO guy).

ehall,

If I ditch the A/C system in my 2001 and replaced it with the alternator (bracket from a TJ), this should fit right? Since I'm in the PNW I rarely use A/C (it does not work anyways) and would like to protect the alternator (went thru two already). It appears the 2000-2001 TJ and XJ setup are very similar (except for a few minor issues).

The bracket should work for relocating the alternator, but you still need some kind of idler pulley at the bottom if you wanted to keep the belt routing (see routing fig for 96+ belts below):

beltrouting.jpg

The other option there would be to remove the fan pulley and run the belt from the alternator at top straight to the crank pulley.

The bracket should work for relocating the alternator, but you still need some kind of idler pulley at the bottom if you wanted to keep the belt routing (see routing fig for 96+ belts below):

beltrouting.jpg

The other option there would be to remove the fan pulley and run the belt from the alternator at top straight to the crank pulley.

Thanks ehall!

I was thinking of some kind of pulley but also was considering keeping the alternator (backup) in its original place and running a second one in the "new" position (main alternator)-but thats another subject all together. Thanks again.

here's a link to a guy that was doing a rig build and i noticed he had what i thought was a TJ alternator bracket. upon further talking with him, he said he custom made the bracket. having no mechanical fan works for him b/c his radiator is in the rear.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=106645

anyone have any pics of the yj setup or 2.5 setup/ did either work. i found a guy who has a tj alternator bracket (i gotta check what year) i'd like to run a mechanical fan and eliminate the ac but is seeming like i'm going to have either a dummy alternator to do this or dual electric fans

I have feelers to some junkyards for TJ brackets but haven't gotten anything. I ended up buying the ZJ brackets to try those. However all that stuff is built around a single fan attached to the water pump (the XJ is the only model to have dual fans and thus has an offset fan pulley), so I need to go electric fans and get rid of the off-set pulley before I can try the other setups.

the stock location blows, it gets splashed with mud non stop. When mine stops working, I spray it out with brake cleaner & WD. It usually starts working again.
Doesn't matter where you're at, if u encounter water, mud or both... You should know what a beating they take down low. I've sealed mine up some.. It has helped keep leaves and muck out when in bumper-deep.

Sorry bring up an older thread, but figured I'd chime in here. I managed to accomoplish this by eliminatin the clutch fan assembly, and ac compressor. Used a taurus fan and wj alternator/bracket...

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

I used a factory 4cy mj/xj alternator bracket and did way with the manual fan and run two factory electric fans . have run this for few years now ...no problems at all.
you can see even mounted up high, muddy water still gets to it..but it doesn't get submerge anymore.

361097198.jpg

361097221.jpg

So someone like me who has a late model XJ (2000) what are my options? Everything I have seen has nothing to do with anything past 99? I would like to get rid of AC and install a high amp alternator up there but I cant find any information on it. Heck, I can't even find anything for a '00...

Should I just get an alt. for an older XJ and make it work, or would that screw something up?

Ive already completed the Taurus fan install, what belt did you use ? I removed the pulley for the mech fan and used the shorter belt during my fan install .

Bringing this back from the dead as I have been pursuing this after looking at a freinds 4.0 in a WJ and it dawning on me the alternator bracket could possibly bolt on to the XJ head...and there didn't really seem to be much of a definitive answer in this thread...

Will the WJ alternator bracket bolt onto an XJ? If so, what specific years if not all?

Please save the "why would you want to bolt your alternator up high" rhetoric for another thread.

Back