• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Head gasket: No fuel No fire

saybye

NAXJA Forum User
Man I swear its one thing after another with this one. So I ended up buying a 1996 over the weekend, was told is had a blown head gasket. Clean little 4x4 Jeep with 170k on it. Got the head off, found the #2 piston scorched. I cleaned up the cylinder, stuck another piston it in, put everything back together last night and thought I was home free. Now I'm not getting any fuel at the fuel rail, not hearing the fuel pump come on.

Pretty sure I'm not getting any fire because I threw some ether to it and not even the slightest try of wanting to start, it just cranks and cranks.

Everything to me points to the CPS but I just pulled the Jeep in the garage a few nights ago under its own power so I don't see how that could have gone bad over the weekend? I count 3 grounds on the motor, one on the back by the firewall and the other 2 are by/under the dipstick. Those are in place. Could I have connected the CPS to the wrong connection? At the time it seemed like that was the only male female end that matched but Ill double check when I get home.

Anyone have any ideas? Hate to go buy a CPS and that not be the issue.

Swap relays around.

CPS is the only thing I can think of that could cause that and that you would have had to mess with to do the head job.

It sounds silly but CPS fail like that.

Unplug it and plug it back together a few times. Mine did that work one night. Googled that fix on NAXJA and went and tried it. It fired right up. Try it, it could work. I swapped out the CPS later.

So when testing the prongs on the cps, reading B to C, my meter just reads OL. However if I swap the leads and put the black one on B and the red on C I get a reading of roughly .970 volts.

Just going by what I read on naxja but I'm suspecting the way I read it first, with red to B and black to C that the sensor is good??

Back