• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Haven,CT

notAdub

NAXJA Forum User
OK, this isn't Jeep related, but I may be moving out of Pittsburgh, and possibly to New Haven. Can anyone tell me a bit about the area, and Seymour as well (Thule factory).

Thanks

As far as off-roading in Ct. there is little to none. The good news is that you'll not be far from western Mass, were there is a alot to do, and easy to get to. Just take Rte 8 north! Seymore its self is a nice small town, very new england. Its hilly, not as bad as where you are now. I have no clue as far as the price of real estate. Anyway, good luck, and maybe we'll run into eachother over the summer

Im very familiar with Thule, what dept. are you heading into?

Seymour's not bad, many local clubs available to get you out legally wheelin
consistantly........

Seymour is an old industrial town, nice folks, small town attitudes. The downtown is kind of dying, I think, but the region is okay as long as your job pays enough to live on. There's a few of us around, very close to the Thule factory. As noted, no legal wheeling in the area but Route 8 north takes you right to the center of North Adams, MA, which is the heart of the Mohawk Trail area.

And Seymour is just down Route 8 from a truly El Primo Jeep dealer, Bradshaw Jeep in Watertown.

Well, I have applied three times for various jobs all over the country, but the other day our rep called and I talked with him for a bit. He said when a job comes up that I am interested in call him and he would help me out as much as he could.

I am starting to consider maybe at least trying to start out in Seymour to get my foot in the door, and see where I can take it from there.

The only two job postings on their website currently is a tech/ equipment tester (which I do not have the background aside from the 10 years of retail sales and personal usage of Thule products) And Customer Service reps to consumers, not my first choice, but if the $$ is decent I'd take it.

Both of those jobs are in Seymour.

I feel I need a change of scenery and definitly need to make some sort of career move in the right direction. Retail management is getting old.

Umm.....Seymour! Find something there or an outlying town.....

Customer service....your in the main office area, elbow to elbow more or less,
they just put on a large addition, this may have changed, but I doubt it.

Product testing I would think ties you into the engineering dept, I get along with those guys pretty good.

I dont know what the pay scale is there, I know the warehouse has its limits but unsure of the office people.

Would you be able to poke around and find out some more info for me? I would greatly appreciate it!

I would much rather be involved with product testing, my background is in sales (10+ years), both automotive and retail (skis/ snowboards,mountian bikes, camping/ hiking/ backpacking and all related clothing and accessories. and of course Thule). I have had numerous racks through the years on my many different cars.

My education is in Management Information Systems.

If the pay was decent I would consider the customer service position.

But agan any help or info you could provide would be great.

Thanks

:cheers:

notAdub said:
would you suggest living in Seymour or the New Haven area?

All of this depends on me even getting a job with Thule of course.
Seymour.

You do NOT want to live in New Hell (err... Haven).

Wow, I lived in Seymour for about 2 years and never knew there was a Thule facility in town. I lived on Balance Rock Rd (sounds much cooler than it is) in a 1 bedroom condo for about $795/month. I would have to agree with the above post that the downtown area is dead. One nice thing is a Metro North station in downtown, so although the town seems secluded, you can get to NYC and not have to worry about parking with about 2 hours and $15.

As college kid, I found living in New Haven more fun. I moved from Seymour to New Haven and shared a house on Trumbull St with students for about half a year. I liked being next to bars and shops around Yale, but hated having to pay for a parking spot at a local lot. The lower cost of sharing a house evened out though. Actually, I think it was even cheaper. Access to the interstate is also better and the New Haven Metro North station has a lot more trains.

Last edited:
All true Thayer, New Haven can be a party town.......crap, I used to live at
Toads Place back in the day, still have a TP jacket......

I cant really poke around at Thule for you, the people I know over there would'nt know
what positions are open, too high up on the latter, would'nt want to be bothered...
(sorry if that sounds wrong, dont know how else to say it)

You sound like you have a shot though, I'd proceed if I was you.....got nuttin to loose!!

Cool, I will look further into it. Our area Rep. said the company is awesome to work for and the facility in Seymour is one of the best he's ever seen anywhere. The company is fairly young in age(employees that is) and everyone at the Headquarters usually hit the mountain bikes during lunch break.

My only concern with where to live is cost of living and stuff to do. Here in Pittsburgh, there is a ton of stuff to do, from bars to clubs (which personally i'd take a drive bar anyday over a lame club) to hiking, mountain biking, and boating (of all types) Cool museums and restaraunts.

Thayer, $795 for a one bedroom condo is a bit outta my range. But if the job pays enough I guess it wouldn't be too bad.

I'm looking at nice one bedroom duplex for around $450 here. But I just feel after 22 years in this city, its time for a change of scenery and the job market kinda sucks here.

Detour, where are some good "outlying" areas around Seymour.

All I got to go by is Google Earth and whatever info I can dig up on the interweb, but most of it is census crap and City/town self promotion stuff.

Mate, Seymour IS the "outlying area." It's a suburb of New Haven. New Haven has the clubs, the bars, the museums (Yale University, don'tcha know), Southern CT State University, Gateway Community College, and then there's Quinnipiac University up the road in Hamden and University of New Haven in West Haven. Farther out from Seymour (but still easy access to Thule) would be Oxford, which was pretty rural but which is now seeing an explosion of McMansion construction.

So there's lots of student activity around. And lots of crime and drug deals in New Haven. It's rare to pick up the New Haven paper (which is really a worthless rag) and not read about at least one drive-by shooting or gang-related shootout overnight.

Connecticut has some of the highest housing costs in the country, outside of California, NY City and Washington, DC. Just keep that in mind if you get an offer and proceed to negotiating salary.

Good info! This is the kind of stuff I need to know, 'cause Pitsburgh is a relatively safe city and affordable to live in and around for the most part.

This is the kind of stuff I can not find out about just poking around search engines.

Most everything Eagle says is true, but Im sure we could find bad nieghborhoods in any city....

Your rents are cheap, very cheap.......very very very cheap.Not like that up
here...

Thule 'is' very young inside, their building very nice, attitudes seam pretty
positive, yes....many bike during lunch..even the president, but if you stray
too far from the building on a bike.........good luck cuzz its ALL up hill to get
back to work!!!lol

I agree, living in CT was expensive. Like I said, my 1 bedroom condo in Seymour was $795 and it was pretty much in the middle of nowhere. My first place in New Haven was at 111 Park St (big apt building high rise next to the Yale hospital and street full of clubs and bars) and it was $600+ for a studio and $70+ for an uncovered parking spot in the lot across the street. My second place in New Haven was on Trumbull St and it was roughly 400+ for a room in a 4 bedroom house that I split with 3 other students and I paid around $120 for a covered parking spot in the lot down the street.

About New Haven, it's not bad if you stay out of the public housing and slum lord neighborhoods. I had to drive through the bad parts to get to work and the only thing I'd run across is an occasional thug crossing the street against a red and holding up traffic while taking his sweet old time and eyeing you down to make sure he didn't get "disrespected". Nothing ever happened to me in New Haven and I was always out late, but my XJ was stolen when I lived in Seymour though (don't worry, I got it back and the insurance fixed it).

Last edited:
Back