• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New guy

Big James

NAXJA Forum User
I'm new on here. I have a question. I'm looking to buy an xj. I have the chance to get one at a steal, only problem is it is 2wd. It's lifted and on 33s and has 132xxx miles. Just needs a new radiator. I was wondering if I was to convert it to 4wd if the lift would still work

There's several folks that have converted them to 4wd. It's not all that hard if you can turn a few wrenches.

Basically you'll need a 4x4 transmission, a tcase (and linkage), the driveshafts and a front axle. After that it's all "pretty" much bolt in. You'll have to possibly modify the center console for the transfer case shifter.

I am busy at the moment, but if you search in the modified tech forms on this site, I guarantee you'll find some information on doing such a swap. It's easier than a lot of other vehicles because the frames are the same.

mac 'will someday convert a 2wd MJ to a 4x4' gyvr

I'm new on here. I have a question. I'm looking to buy an xj. I have the chance to get one at a steal, only problem is it is 2wd. It's lifted and on 33s and has 132xxx miles. Just needs a new radiator. I was wondering if I was to convert it to 4wd if the lift would still work

Yes. Your lift will work before and after you convert to 4wd. It uses the same springs either way.

Okay. I appreciate it guys. I'm probably going to pick it up then. I was just making sure that the lift would work. I can get all the parts to convert it. That's not really all the pressing since summer is coming up. I mainly just want one for winter bc I live in the middle of nowhere lol

Where is "the middle of nowhere"?

Scott county, Tn. Have you ever heard of brimstone recreation? I'm around that area. I plan on doing some light wheeling once I get the jeep.

Scott county, Tn. Have you ever heard of brimstone recreation? I'm around that area. I plan on doing some light wheeling once I get the jeep.

I have heard of Brimstone. I have a cousin with a Cherokee that goes there quite a bit. I also have family in Jamestown.

My 95 started out 2wd. A weekend's worth of work and it was 4wd and lifted.

It really is a bolt in swap. Even the holes are in the floor for the 4wd linkage.

I have heard of Brimstone. I have a cousin with a Cherokee that goes there quite a bit. I also have family in Jamestown.

If you ever make it over this way you should go up there. There's a lot of trails and we also have Royal Blue. Slot has a ton is trails

in the mean time, you might be surprised where good tires will take you in 2wd :)

I did all of the green and some of the blues at Windrock in 2WD. Only moved to 4 when I was getting into something super messy. In fact, if the mud is right you can have more fun in 2WD than 4.

Awesome. I plan on picking it up. 2k and then whatever the 4wd parts cost
shifter/linkage/harness, front axle, tranny, driveshafts x2 and tcase Your looking at ~4-5 hundred (junkyard cost) and a fair chunk of work. 6 hours if you know whats going on, 12+ if you don't. It's not hard, just a pain in the ass.

Last edited:
I did all of the green and some of the blues at Windrock in 2WD. Only moved to 4 when I was getting into something super messy. In fact, if the mud is right you can have more fun in 2WD than 4.

shifter/linkage/harness, front axle, tranny, driveshafts x2 and tcase Your looking at ~4-5 hundred (junkyard cost) and a fair chunk of work. 6 hours if you know whats going on, 12+ if you don't. It's not hard, just a pain in the ass.

My dad will be helping me, he's always built vehicles and a mechanic. Once I get it I'll just be picking all the stuff up over time and I have another vehicle to drive so it if takes awhile it's not a big deal. I just really want one lol but even then I'll be coming out ahead with about 2500 in it.

Back