• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Cruise Control going in

btl_fed_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a brand new cruise control kit for my 1996 XJ, it's going to make the ride down to Florida from PA soooooo much nicer. I'll keep you guys posted on how the install goes. I am a little nervous about pulling the steering wheel off with the air bag but the directions state that as long as that neg. batt. terminal is disconected then I should be safe..... Wish me luck!

I did this on my '96. Just be careful and go for it. It is pretty much a plug 'n' play opperation. Takes maybe an hour or so to complete.

Sweet Karlm!

That's the kind of good news I wanted to hear! I may even do it this weekend if I am feeling lucky

Thanks,

Jamie

did my '98 a couple of years ago, when you mess with the airbag on the bench, make sure it faces down in case it pops.

also, after disconnecting the battery, wait a couple of hours for the capacitor to discharge; i belive that's what ignites the ab, sometimes the battery gets destroyed in a crash before the bag has a chance to deploy.

also, when starting the engine after the install, reach in from the passenger side window to crank the engine, safer that way.

if i remember anything else, i'll post it.

If you have the directions from the kit, they have all sorts good info on handeling the airbage safely. I was scared at first too, but I just went slow and careful and I had no problems.

The only problem I had when I did that install a few monthes ago was in the instructions there are no pictures showing where the damn motor goes! Well, it goes behind the battery and bolts to the fender sheet metal if you didn't know. Other than that, it is really easy. You will need a long shaft torx driver to remove the plastic bottom steering wheel shaft cover. Make sense?
Bryan

Gotcha

Makes sense to me. Guess all there is left to do is..... Just do it. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Jamie

mikeny said:
did my '98 a couple of years ago, when you mess with the airbag on the bench, make sure it faces down in case it pops.

also, after disconnecting the battery, wait a couple of hours for the capacitor to discharge; i belive that's what ignites the ab, sometimes the battery gets destroyed in a crash before the bag has a chance to deploy.

also, when starting the engine after the install, reach in from the passenger side window to crank the engine, safer that way.

if i remember anything else, i'll post it.

Yeah make sure it faces down so if it does go off you take the back side of the steering wheel to the face instead of the air bag.
:D

this is a thread hi-jack!

mike, on a new thread......

tell me why you won't show up for a naxja run.......

I've been bugging you for years.....

moab is coming up in october.

Back