• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New car ~$30k need reccomendations

chelms27 said:
Agreed, anyone can just go buy a new plastic car, old muscle cars have the looks and character IMO. But if you have to go with new and sporty I am also a WRX or Lancer fan.
I thought you were speaking against new plastic cars...WRX and Evo are full of excess plastic... ;)

Still love em though. Except the nose on the WRXs (and all new Subies minus the Legacy mind you).

I'd recommend the new Legact GT (Spec B, possibly? Can't remember if that was the newest hi-po model or not...)
The GTOs also are really nice. If you can wait another year or so, the Camaro's coming back likely to have an IRS, and other such goodies. I think the next CTS and GTO will be based on that same platform. The new Charger's dirve really nice, especially with the Hemi. A lot of people don't like the looks, but I think they're not bad...

Huh? The GTO will outrun an RX-8 without breaking a sweat. The RX-8 (I've driven one more than a few times and loved it, chirped the tires going 1-2, 2-3) isn't as quick as others off the line its powerband is kinda high. Throw a tight curvy road or an autocross course at em and the RX will likely come out the victor, but straight-line, the GTO would stomp that.

BlackSport96 said:
The RX-8 (I've driven one more than a few times and loved it, chirped the tires going 1-2, 2-3) isn't as quick as others off the line its powerband is kinda high. Throw a tight curvy road or an autocross course at em and the RX will likely come out the victor, but straight-line, the GTO would stomp that.

This is what Ive been hearing a lot as well, I have a 2000 toyota celica as a DD and people are managing to keep up with the RX-8 in a straight line, with a good driver, etc. Not as a rule, but possible. But as good as the celica is in the twisties, the RX-8 has been blowing it away.
You do have to be aware of the power band as well, it took me quite a while to get used to my car revving up to 8K+, and making its best power around 6K, and from what I gather the RX-8 has a similar power band as far as revs go.

Not sure about the reliability though, its always been iffy with the rotarys, and it may be a good engine now, but hasn't been around long enough to prove it yet. Have heard that they do use the oil and gas, for thier size.

However pick one up and go FI on it, and it would be a even more of a blast to drive Im sure. Have you tried one yet?

I know this seems like kind of an old thread and I haven't read the whole thing but Subaru is planning to release an Impreza STi "Limited". You will be able to get this trim package without that big nasty wing you don't like yet still retain the power are perfromance.

Here's a link that for more info on the car: http://www.subaru.com/shop/overview.jsp?model=IMPREZA&trim=WRX_STI_LIMITED&command=overview

If you want one I would call your nearest Suby dealer now because they aren't making very many of them.

:wave1:

Lord Helmet said:
I know this seems like kind of an old thread and I haven't read the whole thing but Subaru is planning to release an Impreza STi "Limited". You will be able to get this trim package without that big nasty wing you don't like yet still retain the power are perfromance.

Here's a link that for more info on the car: http://www.subaru.com/shop/overview.jsp?model=IMPREZA&trim=WRX_STI_LIMITED&command=overview

If you want one I would call your nearest Suby dealer now because they aren't making very many of them.

:wave1:

Nice leather seats too.. Looks sexy but its a bit higher than what I'm lookin for.

If all thats different is the wing and you want to get rid of it you may be able to get an STi and get rid of the big wing and put on a base wrx wing instead. Also makes it the start of a sleeper...

Have you test driven anything let thats left an impression?

My car shopping has been stuck on hold by recent issues with my jeep... To be resumed hopefully tomorow or saturday.

Fawkin short in the charging system somwhere...

my wife had her rx-8 at 110000 miles no issue
manual
loved driving it does burn a bit of oil
but less than my xj
have a project xj i'm swapping the rx-8 motor to since my wife got wrecked out
insurance buyback

just an observation that will serve transam89 in the future... theres a little red line before each post... that will serve to remind you how recent the thread is.
this particular one is nearing two years... i should expect he's made his choice...
enjoy

transam89gta said:
yea i know that just giving my input.
others have posted why pick on me

Hahahaha I think he is picking on you because others posted TWO YEARS AGO.

I would look into the nissan 350Z's, they are cool little cars and fit a suprisingly big driver. Those new Altima Coops are sharp looking cars as well, they come with a comparable package as the 350Z yet there much cheaper.

IndyXJ said:
Try to spend even MORE to get a used 08/09? Dodge Challenger! Now those are jaw dropping.
:laugh2:
It's 2006, those are years away.

I heard something about a mid level challenger coming out later, it may make for a better DD than the bigger engined and much more expensive ones

Back