• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New car ~$30k need reccomendations

Dzl DV8 said:
Awe helll, get the ram with a cummins. The you have a tow vehicle to boot.
Mines bipolar, when it doesn't think it a Peterbilt, it thinks it's a ferrari.

attachment.php
I've seen one of these hand a Late model LT1 Camaro it's ass, twice. Of corse you'ld have to put quite a bit in it to acheave that kind of performance out of it. Other than that the only thing I can comment on is while I like the look of the new Mustangs I think they ride like shit. Hell my 6 year old xj with add a leaves, and shot rear springs rides better than those things.

STi- Very fun car, but kinda lacking soul. I put 13,000 miles on one, and while I loved it, the whole time I was missing my 2000 M3. In terms of the power, the STi is amazing. Very little turbo lag, and the most amazing part is the torque: 300 lb/ft out of a boosted four, and peak is at 4000 RPM, IIRC. Feels like a V-8's power delivery.

The Legacy GT- Uses the same block as the STi, but does not have the Variable Valve Timing of the STi and does not feel nearly as quick to me. My parents have an '05 GT wagon and a good friend has a sedan. Beautiful cars, really nice interior, but not quick enough for me. If you go that route, try to track down a year old Spec. B model. The '06 has a 6-speed and some other goodies, but the price is over $30K.

I owned an SRT-4 for a week. I really liked a lot about the car, not the least of which was the price, but all it wanted to do was spin the front tires. It got old realy fast. And it was still a Neon, even though Dodge doesn't like it when you say that.

The GTO is truly an amazing bargain. You can get an '04 with the LS1 (5.7 liter, 350 hp) in the high teens very easily. Going to an '05 gets you an LS2 (6.0 liter, 400 hp) as well as better looking dual exhaust and hood scoops which help the car look a little more masculine. You should be able to find one of those in the mid-20's very easily. A lot of bang for the buck to be sure...it'll put a huge grin on your face, and a lot nicer to drive than a blown '03 Cobra.

Don't buy an Elise as a daily driver. Trust me. I tried it for a while. It gets old...fast.

Once you drive a BMW, it is hard to drive much else. I'm on my second M Roadster, and I have no regrets. The styling is subjective, but in my opinion it was the last attractive BMW (pre-Bangle). If you can find a '01-'02 (they only built 1200 in two years) you get the S54 motor out of the E46 M3 (333 hp, 315 in the Roadster). With decent miles, you should be able to get one for under $30K with low miles; I bought mine with 22k miles. 0-60 in 4.6 seconds, 174 mph top speed (de-limited...Dinan chip), the most amazing sound as it winds up to 8000 rpm, and all with the top down. BTW, the motors all have a 100,000 mile warranty.

Hopefully my various personal experiences help you in your search. I love car shopping! :D

-----Matt------

My two straight-sixes:

1147131700.jpg

What about a Lincoln LS? Handles nice, quick, good looks. I was a service manager at a Lincoln/Mercury dealer. Earler ones had trans issues, the 05 and 06 have been great. 06 is the last year......just a thought.

I also vote GTO. A friend just picked up a new 06 for $26-27000. Its sunset orange metallic. It says "I'm cooler than evo/subie kids"

If not then look for used CTS V's, they are way hot and will blow the SRT-8's off the street. I also agree that BMW makes some nice cars. Its too bad the Z3 turned into the Z4, it looks like crap.

Last edited:
Flip94ta said:
I also vote GTO. A friend just picked up a new 06 for $26-27000. Its sunset orange metallic. It says "I'm cooler than evo/subie kids"

If not then look for used CTS V's, they are way hot and will blow the SRT-8's off the street. I also agree that BMW makes some nice cars. Its too bad the Z3 turned into the Z4, it looks like crap.

You don't like the Z4!?! I frickin' love that car.

91 Jeep Project said:
You don't like the Z4!?! I frickin' love that car.
Desaign influence for BMW Z4 revealed:

"Metal crudely twisted and bent into contrived shapes. And some crash tests:"

z4.jpg
s2000_crash.jpg
mx5_crash.jpg

Compared to my M, the Z4 drives like shat. Very boring car to drive, with the exception of the Z4 M. Now this, is beautiful:

bmw%20z4%20coupe%20zwei.jpg

And it's $55,000.

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
Now this, is beautiful:

Top of the rear fender and rear trunk shape/integration (or lack thereof) is not working for me. Maybe in the buff I'll like it better.

mdl said:
I kinda like the STI I just don't like that wing on the back.. That and their kinda small inside. I'm a big guy. :)

So quit using the 'roids and then maybe you can fit.

IXNAYXJ said:
Now this, is beautiful:

And it's $55,000.

-----Matt-----

Back half reminds me of an RX-8, never noticed that before.

pho_gallery_RX8_ext8.jpg

Are you looking for a daily driver or weekend cruiser? Option of convertible top? Auto/Manual? Straight line fast or autox fast?

Last edited:
98XJSport said:
Are you looking for a daily driver or weekend cruiser? Option of convertible top? Auto/Manual? Straight line fast or autox fast?

Daily driver, coupe no convertable, manual, overall fast. More fun to drive.

If gas mileage is a concern then I would look into a v-6 unless you want to go forced induction on a smaller import, but im assuming your not a fan of the smaller cars anyways. 350z is a good example on that category, decent speed, good handling, good looks, smallish engine comparitively speaking. Or the Infinity G35, almost the same car.

If gas mileage isn't a concern then one of the V-8s mentioned in the thread along the lines of a GTO or 05+ mustang is where I would look, maybe kick in a little more for the shelby mustang if you want something more potent...but at that price range you might as well start looking at corvettes... Ive also been hearing the monte carlo ss now has the 5.3 ls4, similar power numbers to the mustang gt I believe...

So many choices, and what I would pick isn't what you would. But hopefully this thread is giving you some ideas of stuff to test drive, if even just for the fun of it...
At the very least it's helping me procrastinate at work.

Last edited:
I'm really liking the RX-8. They styling is exactly what I'm looking for. The power seems alright as well. Does the rotary engine have dependability issues? I probably will be selling this car within say 4-5 years and getting myself a newer model, whatever it be. I'm sure the warrantee will cover any issues that might happen...

mdl said:
I'm really liking the RX-8. They styling is exactly what I'm looking for. The power seems alright as well. Does the rotary engine have dependability issues? I probably will be selling this car within say 4-5 years and getting myself a newer model, whatever it be. I'm sure the warrantee will cover any issues that might happen...
Take stock out in Mobil 1. You will be buying tons of it.

DrMoab said:
Take stock out in Mobil 1. You will be buying tons of it.
x2

In a rotary oil is what is used to keep the apex seals alive and make compression. Burning of oil is a byproduct.

mdl said:
Daily driver, coupe no convertable, manual, overall fast. More fun to drive.

I believe your original post stated you were also interested in a sporty sedan? I scored this for 27K. Every option available plus the "sport package"..and 300 ponies too! :)

a363e40d.jpg

Jaguar.jpg

414eadac.jpg

mdl said:
Like others have expressed, I would steer clear of the RX-8, for a myriad of reasons. Mazda claims to have made the Rotary engine reliable, but until I see them going past 60k miles with the same tip seals, I'll be skeptical. Also, I hope you enjoy revving to redline...every time you want power. It may sound nice on paper, but it gets really old. And they sound like crap. ;)

Among the list of cars that have cropped up here, the RX-8 would be very near the bottom for me. It has an impressive chassis, but just seems like a bad compromise in every other respect.

IF you're set on getting one, make sure you get a manual transmission; the auto's are detuned well below the stick versions. I think you'd be much happier with 350Z or G35 coupe, not to mention a bunch of other cars that have been discussed.

Good luck!

-----Matt-----

Back