• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New bonnet ( hood ) with venting cowl fitted.

Gojeep said:
No worries. ;)
I have added it to my write up to help other as well.Let me know how it all goes.
Who did you buy it through?

On ebay, amdistributing, I'll let y'all know how it works out with the shipping and such.
Mike B.

The quality is excellent and far better the the more expensive fibreglass one. None of this tacked on look either which to me is important as well being a daily driver. The cops dont harass you that way as well.

RichP said:
Holy mackerl, that price and shipping is a mite high in my book....

Depends on what ya call high, new chinese made poor fitting hood is around 125 - 150 and a Harwood Fiberglass Cowl Induction Hood Scoops is about 125 - 150 so it'd cost 250 - 300 to get the equivalant not with standing the time that would be spent getting the paper thin chinese hood to line up and the time mounting up the scoop... and considering the indent down the center of the XJ hood making the scoop look right would be quite a bit of work in itself. That's time I can bettter spend keeping the rest of all of my junk running. :rolleyes: My lack of patience and skill with body work makes that 100 bucks well worth it :smoker:
As for the shipping well yeah it's prolly about 20 - 25 bucks high but you can't get much shipped really that has to go LTL truck for less than 100 bucks or so, I'd hate to see what GOJEEP had to pay to get his to down under :eek:
Mike B.
Plus it looks really COOL :cool:

Not cheap for me. They helped me out a lot and got cheaper than the quotes I had to go through and just to find someone that would ship it over at all!!!
It cost me $540 all up including customs, the hood, duty and GST!!

Hood showed up today, tried to install but ran into a problem or 2. 1st I need to get a few more shims to get the back edge of hood to line up with the cowl.... no biggee. 2nd couldn't get one of the nuts off of the stud that holds the striker on the existing hood, it'll turn and the stud isn't turning.... damndest thing, it's like the threads are stripped out of the nut and it won't catch even when pried against, guess the hacksaw will be used on it tommorow :roll: ..... But here's the real problem there are 2 studs to mount the saftey latch on but no studs to mount the striker on and I see no way of being able to get bolts in there and being able to hold them, maybe the one further back but the forward most one there is no way. Maybe I can mount some some sort of expanding threaded insert in the holes if I can find something short enough for that front one.
How did you mount your striker GOJEEP? Or did I get the one hood they made that was missing those studs? Or did later years use something other than studs for the striker? Picture's of y'alls hood latch setups might help me understand I guess.
Mike B.

1986xj said:
How did you mount your striker GOJEEP? Or did I get the one hood they made that was missing those studs? Or did later years use something other than studs for the striker? Picture's of y'alls hood latch setups might help me understand I guess.
Mike B.

Must be a difference in the years as mine just bolted up exactly the same as stock. Will take some shots now for you.

Bonnet 006.jpg

Bonnet 007.jpg

Hmmm am I seeing that right, is your latch on the side instead of the front center of the hood? Maybe that's an export only thing? On mine the saftey catch is mounted 180* from what yours is and the hole next to it and the one where you have the retaining clip for the cable should have studs in them to mount the striker..... the latch itself is mounted on the top of the radiator support and not on the hood.
Thanks,
Mike B.

Even ones in the States that I have looked at were the same as mine. The hood from Reflexxion we have is the same no matter if you are in the States or out of it. I have heard that the really early XJ's had a different setup so it must be what you have. Take a look at a later XJ at the Wreaking yard and you will see what I am taking about. I have heard you can convert it to work as some have done so with the fibreglass ones.

Here is a hood from a USA one that shows the other side which is still the same as mine.

attachment.php

AAAAhhhh the joy of having an early XJ...... 84-86 have the latch on the body side and the striker mounted on the hood, in 87 that was changed and the latch was mounted on the hood.... Going to look for threaded inserts tommorow to put in the hood.... maybe I can just JB weld them into the hood's holes or if I can find steel ones I'll tack weld them in. I'll look at the Junkyard tommorow since I need to go get a few more shims (dealer said they don't have them and have never have sold any (?????) All the OME suspension components showed up today so the XJ will be in the garage for a few days anyways... Thanks for posting the pics
Mike B.

Sorry to hear of your troubles but was un-aware of them. The company should have noted it but at least I have an excuse! No XJ's came to Oz before 6/94.

Took some 5/16 tee nuts, flattened the prongs down and used the grinder to make the tops nice and thin and welded them in and ground the welds flush.... worked like a charm. It took 3 more shims than stock on each side to get everything flush at the back end, just can't seem to get the back corners just right.... but it may be my XJ is a little tweaked and no fault of the hood at all. I'll let the body shop who does the painting worry with the final adjustments as my skills and patience have ran out, I hate body work and I'm likely to do more harm than good at this point. It sure does look sharp on there though, maybe I'll leave it black and pretend it's carbon fiber like all the Ricers do.... NOT
Mike B.

So glad you worked it out. Did you take any shots of what you did at all? Just thought I could add them for you to the write up to help others out. I dont even know what Tee nuts are? Maybe we call them something different here in Oz ;)

Tee nut I think is usually used in furniture applications for couches and such that have legs that can be removed to ease getting them in and out of the house. - http://hillmangroup.com/misc/Fastener Reference Chart A.pdf
They just drill a hole & pound them in.... sorta like what I did :clap:
I keep forgetting to take the camera along when I go to the garage, I will tomorrow though as I really need to start getting my before pictures for the site I'm planning to do. Hopefully I'll do a better job of putting it together than I did for the CJ- http://members.aol.com/CJ51969/home.html
I should have help friday and am hoping to get most of the lift done that day.
Mike B.

Have seen those but did not know what they were called. Thanks for explaining that ;)

Thanks mate. ;)
Do you have any on the fitting of the inserts so it will help out others that had the same years as yours?
My old hood sat up a bit on one side too and the new one sat the same way. I had already removed the spacers from under the hinge so took out the whole hinge and slotted the holes where the firewall studs go through and know it sits perfectly ;)

No I didn't take pics of popping the tee nuts in.... not much too look at really though. In person the corners are pretty much flush, I think the shadows and contrasting colors make it look different in the pictures. I'm going to let the paint shop do the final tweakage on the fit of the fender and hood, I had to add a few additional shims on both sides to get it that close. I should add pics though of the modified prop rod, and I need to shorten the limit straps before I let anyone else work on it otherwise they'll end up denting the back by banging it into the wiper arms.
Mike B.

You have limiting straps? Never seen them before!
With the rod prop, cant you just move it forward as that should limit the hieght?

Back